Sorry, but yet again electric hob and oven advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helping out a friend, having basic electrical skills. Replacing stand alone cooker with separate oven and hob , using an existing cooker switch fed by 6mm cable from a 30amp fuse from a dodgy old fashioned fuse box. Have advised him to get this replaced with a new consumer unit so all work will be checked out when this is approved by local electricity supplier. However need to get cables ran so I can get on with the plastering. Am I right in thinking that I can run the 7kw hob from the cooker switch using existing 6mm cable and taking the 2.7kw oven (using 1.5mm heat resistant flex connected) off the ring main using a fused connection unit. It's only a small flat so there are only about a dozen outlets on the circuit. Or is it better to run a new cable and use a dedicated fuse from the consumer unit for the oven since we can build in the capacity anyway, is that overkill? , and what size cable and breaker should be used if so. Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
slapdashchris said:
Am I right in thinking that I can run the 7kw hob from the cooker switch using existing 6mm cable and taking the 2.7kw oven (using 1.5mm heat resistant flex connected) off the ring main using a fused connection unit.

Yes, that sounds a good idea. You seem to know what you're doing. But do get that consumer unit replaced soon! ;)

Would actually advise a 2.5mm² 16A radial controlled by 20A DP switch for the oven, and terminated in a flex outlet plate below the worktop.

Putting it on the ring, while allowable, does not leave much spare capacity for other items, especially when said ring serves the kitchen area (where you have got quite a lot of high power appliances)

Would also advise a separate ring for the kitchen sockets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back