Sourcing parts for single downlight replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I’m looking for a pointer towards a lamp holder and (embarrassed to say) suitable replacement bulbs.

My house is filled throughout with the same down lights:

• a steel recessed ring labelled “Emcolite GX5.3”.
  • A bulb holder, ceramic labelled 25v 100w.
  • with a small black connection box containing a choc block and a steel strip (bridge) to fasten the box onto the ring.
  • A transformer labelled “Tamlite model EU-2060 20-60VA” which is connected to a standard junction box connecting to the lighting ring.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Now, a single light in the house has been unusable since I moved in. The light flickers like a strobe and the red transformer buzzes. As such I don’t use the lights in that room.

There’s obviously something a miss, so I’ve checked for loose connections and damage and I’ve found some. The wires going to the bulb holder are exposed through the insulation and the choc block in the connection box is discoloured. I don’t know if this is the cause (can’t see where it would short) or a symptom (overheating). Either way, I’d like to replace this light unit in its entirety (transformer, choc block and bulb holder) and re-use the existing metal surround.

I’ve found the transformer at CEF.
but I’m struggling to find the ceramic bulb holder: I’m looking for one with a pre-wires live and neutral. Could anyone point me towards one - ideally at CEF?

secondly... bulbs. I have had no luck in replacing any of the bulbs in the house. The ones I’ve picked up from the supermarket don’t work and I suspect that I need to order them specially. With hindsight I’ve just been buying ones with the 5.3 pins and not paying attention to whether these are GU5.3 or GX5.3 or what the wattage is. Whenever I search for GX5.3 bulbs online, I just find expensive “projector bulbs”. Could anyone point me to a source of bulk packs of these bulbs and advise on wattage? I’d ideally like to buy a big stack of LED ones and replace the lot in one hit.

Such a ridiculously small problem, but it has me beaten I'm afraid to say.

Sponsored Links
If you must buy things from CEF and also must have that useless design of 12V lamp, then this: https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/149477-low-voltage-lampholder-c-w-180mm-silicon-cable is the lampholder.
However the problem with that one is that the transformer is 20-60W and the LED lamp in there is probably only 5W, so the two are not compatible.

A far better option is to buy GU10 lampholders, GU10 LED lamps and dispose of the transformer completely.
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1550860-gu10-convertor-kit
GU10 lamps are the same physical size so will fit into the existing metal frame, and there is far more choice in GU10 LED lamps than in the 12V versions.

Other much cheaper suppliers are available.

Well It looks like your using what was probably a low voltage installation and someone has now fitted an LED lamp. LED need led drivers not electronic transformers, this will do exactly the same again. I would suggest you get a GU10 lampholder and take out the transformer and wire 240v straight in and then buy the Aurora Enlite GU10 lamps (these are good lamps and perform well) They also have all necessary drivers built into the lamp and lamps more widely available.
Remember to check the colour of the lamp which will range from 2500k - 6400K the higher the number the whiter the light. Kitchens or bathrooms tend to be 4000k - 6400k which is cool white to daylight.
Enlite ref EN-GU005/64 is the really bright ones its the number after the / that relates to the colour i.e /64 is the 6400K. Also CEF tend to like to be expensive so check around, don't be fooled into buying cheap crap lamps from DIY centre or supermarket.

Last edited:
Guys - thank you both very much.

The bulbs that had been fitted in these holders were indeed LEDs:

image.jpg

Could these have been the cause of the overheating?

So both piece of advice are to delete the transformer all together and to wire a GU10 lamp holder straight into the junction box on the ring main? The one in the link above looks like it would fit exactly.

Then plug the Aurora bulbs straight in: Excellent.

The lamps are into the insulated loft cavity, will the 240v lamps generate too much heat for this? I have fitted loft-lid plastic covers over the backs of lights like these in the past so I can do the same again if appropriate (though the covers were very expensive - about £6each if I remember rightly).

thanks again!

Sponsored Links
So both piece of advice are to delete the transformer all together and to wire a GU10 lamp holder straight into the junction box on the ring main?

It won't be the ring main as you call it. It will be the lighting circuit.

The lamps are into the insulated loft cavity, will the 240v lamps generate too much heat for this? I have fitted loft-lid plastic covers over the backs of lights like these in the past so I can do the same again if appropriate (though the covers were very expensive - about £6each if I remember rightly).

thanks again!

240vc LEDs will run no hotter than 12v LEDs of the same wattage.

It won't be the ring main as you call it. It will be the lighting circuit.

240vc LEDs will run no hotter than 12v LEDs of the same wattage.

There's no such thing as a 240V LED.
I would also expect higher conversion losses with an LED retrofit so the lamp itself will probably run hotter.

Pedantic!
Whether the conversion is done inside the lamp capsule or an outside SMPS I imagine the losses and heat generated are similar.

I converted mine and run the Enlite ones and have no issues. You can run the led of a decent transformer (but they are not made to and they can get warm, flash, and certainly shorten the life of the lamp. The Transformer you have is not what I would say a good one.)
Convert all the way would be my choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back