Spacing for 2 pendant lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I put two pendant lights in. A room, how should I space them out between the walls?

If I do it equidistant (1:1:1) then it looks too close together. Maybe 1:2:1 or 2:3:2 ... ?

Sponsored Links
I would think - if long and thin - 1:2:1 then each pendant will be in the middle of its half of the room.

If more square, it may be different and just depends how you think it looks.

Good question, and it also depends where the door and window are. They used to put lights near the window back in the day cos they thought it looked weird having light come from elsewhere.
Anyway my point is there's no hard and fast rule, my advice would be just leave your drills and screwdrivers in the cupboard and blu tack them to the ceiling and move them around for a couple of days until you are happy, then get out the drills once you're happy enough!

They used to put lights near the window back in the day cos they thought it looked weird having light come from elsewhere.!

I thought it was to stop the people outside seing silhouetes of people getting undressed. mainly in bedrooms

As for the OPS pendants, sometimes the feature wall behind can dictate whats best, if for example theres a chimney breast to the left side, then 1 in line with that and the 2nd pendant say the same distance in at the other end, if that makes sense.
The key to me is that there symetrical and pleasing to the eye

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if you have a setup in mind as in bedroom dinning room kitchen etc then best to place where they are most use as in long narrow kitchen with cupboards on one wall only
may be better served with lighting spaced centrally with the wall cupboards width removed from the calculations

Last edited:
The room will either be a study or a spare bedroom (or both!). It's 4.2m front to back (door to outside wall), and 3.5m wide. Outside wall has a partial coom ceiling, and a modest north facing Victorian dormer window. So room doesn't get a lot of light, hence the two pendants.

No chimney breast. 2.8m high ceiling.

Wall opposite window will either have built in shelving or a wardrobe, so I guess I should take that into account.

I thought it was to stop the people outside seing silhouetes of people getting undressed. mainly in bedrooms
That's what I had heard, too - and given that it appears to be a practice particularly in the Victorian era, that seems quite credible.

Per JohnD, the more mundane explanation could, of course, be that they were merely trying to emulate the 'daytime situation', when light came from the window.

Kind Regards, John

When I moved in last year, there was no ceiling pendant at all. Someone had wired up one of the wall sockets to the light switch! (Not a proper 5amp circuit).

After taking all the plaster off, I found an old steel lighting conduit to a fitting just above the dormer window. And an even older light fitting (really old wires inside a very flimsy tin tube) about 1m off the floor on the back wall. Presumably for a desk or dresser?

John D v 2.0.... have you been reincarnated?
Haha no I think I upset the original one with my similarity so he insisted I change my name! I didn't think I'd win if we stated comparing date of birth. However everyone knows two is better than one of anything:p

Tho if I saw a person with 2 heads I might be a little freaked out...

Interesting as having similar problems with mothers house. Both rooms down stairs were to have two lamps, however the boss it seems forgot to put it on the plan so the electrician fitted one until I picked up on it. In the room used as a bed room the second lamp looks OK, however in the room used as a living room the lights look far too close together and are to be moved. In both cases the original hole is between the two new fittings.

I really can't see why it looks OK with one room and not the other, have not got a tape out may be the living room ones are closer.

The house was built in 1952 and in upstairs bedrooms the original lights do seem to be weighted towards the windows, also there were wall lights for the hall, stair case and landing. Now looking at older houses in the town they had all wall lights, I can't remember if gas or oil, I was only a boy, but new electric light was central in the room but old lamps were either side of the fire place. There was a spigot on the wall so guess would have been oil originally as you would remove the lamp to fill and light and then put it on the spigot. I think they had been converted to gas.

Only gas lights I have used were in a caravan, and these were brighter than the 12 volt electric, but would think the gas lamp was not as bright as the 240 volt electric so seems likely when converting from oil or gas one electric lamp would replace two gas or oil lamps. Which maybe explains why not central in the room.

Bedrooms as far as I can remember did not have fixed lamps, and normally used candles, fixed gas or oil were only used down stairs. The switches were screwed into wooden blocks fixed in the walls, there were no back boxes, the ceiling rose was always brown or black not the white used today. The convected air currents from the bulb would blacken the ceiling around the bulb.

In other words much has changed, I did consider asking for twin switching of the lights, but decided to keep costs down. I thought easy enough to do latter, but also expected the switches to be in each room, however the switches have been put where the originals were so all switches for two down stairs rooms, hall and stairs are in a central panel of 4 switches in the hall. Why the original had the light switches in the hall I don't know, as a child I was always switching the wrong one.

Bedrooms as far as I can remember did not have fixed lamps, and normally used candles, fixed gas or oil were only used down stairs.
The house in which I was brought up had the remnants of gas light fittings in all the upstairs rooms (mainly bedrooms, plus a bathroom). There were none downstairs, presumably all having been previously removed in the name of aesthetics, at some point after the house acquired electricity.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back