Speedfit / Hep20 / Copper ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to install a new bathroom (converted a bedroom) - got the stack in and all that - just after a bit of advice re the pipe work - I've bought all Speedfit stuff to do it but have heard that Hep20 is better, but I've also heard (from experienced plumbers) that "copper is the only way" - Help me!!

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
No significant difference between Speedfit and Hep2O that I know of. As for plastic versus copper, it's a case of horses for courses. Copper looks better where exposed and has cheaper jointing materials. Plastic is easy to thread through voids and under floors. no reason why you shouldn't mix and match. Push fit joints will fit copper and compression joints will fit plastic pipe (with inserts). Not worth worrying about, unless you lead a very sheltered life indeed.

Depends on your experience with soldering. With push fit stuff it's quite easy to ensure a water tight seal and if you haven't you just need to re-do the joint. With copper you have to ensure the joint's bone dry first and if you have made a small ****-up then you have to take the joint apart and clean and dry and re-do it.

Guess personal preference here my friend. Copper with yorkshire fitting's are way cheaper than speedfit/hep. If you are confident to solder properly go copper, you can always cover the copper with plastic covers in white or silver sleeves if you want the professional look. But, please don't paint the pipes! ******* to redo pipework or make changes once painted :evil:

Sponsored Links
The only other problem I have found with mixing and matching is earth bonding. If you mix and match too much you have a lot of bonding to do since the plastic doesn't provide continuity of a circuit too good :)

Don't talk to me about earth bonding, more I find out more I realise what a mess sparky trade is in, no wonder they had to introduce part p fiasco.

I had to create a short length of copper so a sparks could follow his rules to the letter, otoh I told another sparks on a different job the gas pipework was right up to the point where the meter was to be when the supplier gets round to it, so he could bond it now if he likes within 0.6 m of meter. When I went to look later, he'd bonded the pipe a couple of meters away straight down from the consumer unit.

I think it's time we should admit the gas and water supplies cannot be relied on for earth, and make alternative arrangements, if the water comes in in plastic why should I have to stick a short piece of copper on it for bonding purposes?

Paul Barker said:
I think it's time we should admit the gas and water supplies cannot be relied on for earth

that is a popular missconception, the earth comes form the supply cable not the other way round*

*when electricity is generated, then transformed down the transformer's (secondary) coils are in a "star shape" (120 degrees apart) the centre of the star is earthed, this is also where the neutral comes from.

the supply cable's sheath is conected to the chasiss of the transformer which is also funnily enough, connected to earth, thereby not only does the supply cable bring the live in, it also brings in the earth

in reality it is more technical, but that is it in a nutshell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back