Speedfit installation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a property developer (no not your fly buy night, it'll be ok with some MDF and paint type) i do nice homes to current spec's....

i am about to install the central heating flow and return pipes for the first of three houses im working on in JG Speedfit.

i have been advised to install 22mm for at least the first four rads for the pressure (I am having Potterton 24 boilers fitted throughout and 7 rads).

is this the best way? will i need to do this for both the flow and return or just the flow? am i best running 22mm front to back/flow and return?

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
I'm a property developer

somebody change the name of the site while i wasn't looking :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats very helpful thankyou for your advice..... :confused:

im sorry i know i know but any advise you have would be great, it was my plumber who advised me but didnt go into specifics, he's nipping round tomorrow, but as i would like to start first fit tonight am in a situation.

Sponsored Links
I'm a property developer (no not your fly buy night, it'll be ok with some MDF and paint type) i do nice homes to current spec's....

i am about to install the central heating flow and return pipes for the first of three houses im working on in JG Speedfit.

In which case to maintain your glowing reputation may I recommend finest Yorkex copper tube with an accompaniment of endex fittings. Think I'd consider flow/return in MDF before plastic.

(no not your fly buy night, it'll be ok with some MDF and paint type)

ammended............(no not your fly buy night, it'll be ok with some MDF, paint and plastic pipe type)

If you do things "to current spec's" then you should have the specifications for installation of Central Heating Systems, and the Pipe System you intend using.

There's a lot more to it that the sad questions you're asking, which tell us that you haven't a clue what you're doing. Typical of a Bodgit and Scarper property cowboy.

im a diyer and i only use copper its as easy as plastic and looks lasts better , id listen to the pros on here they know whats best. im fitting potterton boilers with speed fit connecters plastic pipe , says it all i wouldnt buy your developed property

suffolklad said:
im a diyer and i only use copper its as easy as plastic
Does copper bend as easily as plastic pipe? No.
Does copper cut as easily as plastic pipe? No.
Does copper come in coils (that you can manipulate through difficult routes)? No.

So, what exactly is more easily done with copper than plastic, except for soldering?

Softus said:
suffolklad said:
im a diyer and i only use copper its as easy as plastic

Does copper come in coils (that you can manipulate through difficult routes)? No.

Yes, you can buy soft copper in coils, or the few mile of the stuff in me stores is a mirage :LOL:

And it's suitable for Gas. :rolleyes:

doitall said:
Softus said:
Yes, you can buy soft copper in coils
I know that, which is why I wrote the sentence that way I did. :rolleyes:

I know you knew but the no answer to 1 & 3 should have been yes. :rolleyes: :LOL:

doitall said:
I know you knew but the no answer to 1 & 3 should have been yes.
I see. So you can bend half-hard copper tube as quickly and easily as I can bend plastic pipe?

I think not.

But even if you could, which you can't you couldn't immediately unbend it and then bend it in a slightly different place, or a different way, or the same place, or the same way, without it becoming work-hardened and liable to stress-fractures?

The same rationale applies to copper coils too. :rolleyes:

I say again: :rolleyes:

Irregardless of whether you are using copper or plastic piping,to ensure the maximum effectiveness of your heating system you should really pipe both the flow and returns of the heating system in 22mm pipe.This ensures adequate flow to all the radiators giving a faster heat up time on the rads throughout the property.If you use 15 mm piping as your flow and returns depending on your heating controls(thermostatic valves or room stat?)you may find some rads at start of flow loop heating quickly,whilst rads at end of flow loops heating up much more slowly.

macstevie said:
Irregardless of whether you are using copper or plastic piping,to ensure the maximum effectiveness of your heating system you should really pipe both the flow and returns of the heating system in 22mm pipe.This ensures adequate flow to all the radiators giving a faster heat up time on the rads throughout the property.If you use 15 mm piping as your flow and returns depending on your heating controls(thermostatic valves or room stat?)you may find some rads at start of flow loop heating quickly,whilst rads at end of flow loops heating up much more slowly.

Pipe size is determined by the heat loading and has nothing to do with how fast a system warms up. Radiators not heating up evenly is the result of poor balancing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back