Speeding ticket!

I tackled it in reverse-

If indeed I was velocitising at 36mph, then my speed converts to 16.09m/s, or 8.045m/0.5s.

8m = 4 white lines traversed, no?

I'd love to post the pics, but they are copyright CC of Lancs Constabulary. :(

Sponsored Links
Um, 3 gaps enclosed by 4 lines ...

Yep, 36 mph = 52.8 ft/sec = 26.4 ft/0.5 sec = 8.0467 m/0.5sec
That 'fits' for 4 x 2m gaps .... but if you mean 3 gaps then you need the mean 'gap' measurement twixt several lines (twixt 'same' relative measure point on each line.)

Tis the 0.5 sec flash gap which is also crucial ...
If the physical flash delay were set to 0.6 sec and you covered the same 26.4 ft - with the photo showing 0.5 sec delay- that would be 44 ft/sec which is 30 mph, and manipulated evidence.

Several outstanding Q's ...

# Line 'gap' distance?

# Does the photo show 0.5 sec, when the actual physical delay differs?

# Can / do the 'operatives' as opposed to calib' engineers alter the flash delay in use.

#Do the calibrators verify the performance of the instrument on receipt ... Blimey, I doubt that, what about the drivers fined using an out of control Gatsometer? ..... relatively easier to replace faulty part, reset everything, check that and sign off... I bet the 'workbooks' and stores requisitions would make interesting reading ... If one has 9 points that is.
:rolleyes:

This is exactly the sort of thing that Mr Edgar is saying.

I cannot easily measure how far the car has travelled in lines due to shadow etc... This is David's point - he thinks we are in with a chance because the difference between 30 and 36 in half a second is 1.34m

How can they accurately measure this given the characteristics of the photos?

He also thinks if he adds his "Gatso not got Type Approval" argument, we are in with a chance, but he says it's 50/50. Depends on the outlook of the mag, some are prepared to listen intently, others not.

A tough call. :confused:

A bit late ..but this would have done the trick Mrs SS ..LINK :

Don't like cars but have licence? Student have licence tight for cash? Take the bullet for the potential 12 point job loser ..... Crikey this must be happening wholesale !!
Police chiefs have been puzzled why the number of people being disqualified for gaining a fourth three-point penalty has fallen while the number of speeding tickets has multiplied.
In 2003, 1.8 million offences were detected by speed cameras, up from 500,000 in 1999. Yet the number of people disqualified for acquiring 12 points fell from 34,000 to 33,000.

I just cannot believe it !!

shock: :eek: ;)

Sponsored Links
Black box is the new speed cop

Now, this is dodgy !! Already on trial here LINK

There we go ! all there bar the 'intelligent throttle' ... without that there is no escape what ever... Hence my backing, the other is too horrendous to contemplate.

Not to worry, there is a fuel crisis we ignore at our peril ... actions afoot here
The European Union's energy commissioner has called for a 100kph (62mph) speed limit to be adopted throughout Europe. Andris Piebalgs said roads in all 25 member states should be posted with a uniform limit to cut accidents and save fuel. His suggestion follows a recommendation by the International Energy Association in Paris and is seen as a quick way to cut energy consumption in response to depleted oil reserves.

What is the betting on this then? Doesn't affect the big lorries so I guess it will happen sooner or later ....
Buy Chineses goods, then they want more fuel, charge less tax than us, so effectively, inevitably have your fuel .. simple really...
:D :D :D

After lots of umming and ahhing, I have decided to fill out the NIP, and lodge an appeal on the grounds that from the photos, it is impossible to measure accurately the distance travelled in 0.5 sec.

I shall also write to the CC, querying the "adjustable" time delay.

Have a paruse here SS more inaccuracies exposed ... LINK
Section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1991 amending section 75 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988:
RTOA 1988 Section 75:
(7) A conditional offer must :-
(a) give such particulars of the circumstances alleged to constitute the offence to which it relates as are necessary for giving reasonable information about the alleged offence,
(b) state the amount of the fixed penalty for that offence, and
(c) state that proceedings against the alleged offender cannot be commenced in respect of that offence until the end of the period of twenty-eight days following the date on which the conditional offer was issued or such longer period as may be specified in the conditional offer.
My bold characters in the quote .....
:eek:

Pip not sure what you're getting at, mate...

Can't get my noggin round it - what does that mean in words of less than one syllabub?

securespark said:
Pip not sure what you're getting at, mate...

Can't get my noggin round it - what does that mean in words of less than one syllabub?

Ah, the link I gave, itself pointed to a 'Short life link' I have not come across that before .. it no longer links to the actual Dorset story.
Apparently the NIP in question did not actually use wording along the lines of 7(c) in the act referenced.

Have found another link to the story here:-
http://www.thisisdorset.net/dorset/archive/2005/06/17/BOURN_NEWS_NEWS18ZM.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Previously, I had joked about 'selling points', I wouldn't have dreamed of such a thing .. Having spoken to several people since, it appears (allegedly) to be happening amongst people I would never have imagined in a million years.
Blimey 'perverting the course of Justice', 'Perjury' all come to mind.
I wonder if people realise the significance of the laws they are breaking? But then, if a main income is about to be lost with 12 points totted up and loss of licence imminent .. then families do what they have to, to survive.
'kin crazy law the whole speeding NIP offer process ... potentially creating thousands if not millions of undetected criminals .. must lead to disrespect for law.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1611313_1,00.html

.....Police chiefs have been puzzled why the number of people being disqualified for gaining a fourth three-point penalty has fallen while the number of speeding tickets has multiplied.
In 2003, 1.8 million offences were detected by speed cameras, up from 500,000 in 1999. Yet the number of people disqualified for acquiring 12 points fell from 34,000 to 33,000.
The RAC Foundation said that the rise in points-swapping helped to explain the discrepancy. Edmund King, the foundation's director, said that the survey supported widespread anecdotal evidence of points fraud.
There is no separation of the 'serial or habitual overspeeder' from the 'just over, but immediately reducing to limit' offender.
Lose a job, home maybe family over travelling at 35 mph for less than 800 metres in 3 years?
Worse than manslaugther in some instances !!
:eek: :eek:

That is tough justice .. I am sure every Police transgressor of rules and regs is prosecuted and loses his job when no injury or loss is sustained by a third party.

Anyway if there is too much paperwork, at least do the stuff properly, nice for a customer, cum sorry 'come' salary payer, to read of 'too much paperwork' in the way of real action .... then have to read how cases collapse due to improperly processed paperwork.

;) :D

pipme said:
The European Union's energy commissioner has called for a 100kph (62mph) speed limit to be adopted throughout Europe.

Hmmmm, perhaps just another bl**dy-minded attempt to get us to use wimpy, girly kilometres instead of burly, manly miles.

"100kph might be equivalent to 62mph... but I know which one is faster" (Al Murray - comedian)

Anyhoo. So, we adopt this 62mph limit, but that's not a round number. So, we round it up to the nearest 10 (we don't have legally-enforceable speed limits ending in 5 in this country). So, we need to adopt a 70mph speed limit... could be tough!
:LOL:
I would be interested how they would propose it is enforced. In the UK, it isn't a problem, we're all Gatso'd up. But, there are many other countries where you can drive as fast as you like and never get caught. Hardly seems fair that in Italy people WILL still be driving at 100mph everywhere without penalty, but we will be forced to drive at 62mph. Doesn't seem worth it if the countries who are wasting petrol won't be the ones who suffer!

then have to read how cases collapse due to improperly processed paperwork.

Or in my experience, lost paperwork.

About the point-swapping. My sister (a student) has a flatmate who's parents bought her a Golf GTi for her birthday (her 18th birthday I might add!). This girl is a daft tart and in the last year managed to get 2 speeding tickets. Her parents (also stupid tarts) told her to IGNORE them!

Of course, the computer didn't forget (well durrrr!) and caught up with her. So, to avoid their precious little spoilt brat having to stop driving (remember, 6 points = ban for new drivers), they took the points for her. It infuriates me, it makes a mockery of the system. They introduced the 6 points=ban scheme to try and sort out the new drivers who were going to be trouble. So, if you are driven into by a whiny fat teenage girl in a Golf GTi, who turns out to have a clean licence, do us all a favour and try to get her banned!

sorry pipme, i know a lot of speed cameras are put where they shouldnt be, and a lot just are money making for the government, but if the risk to someones job is that great, then dont do it....or get caught!

as for coppers that get prosecuted, the majority do get a higher punishment because they should know better, in some cases its right, in others its not, but they know the risks and such is life. We seem to live in a culture of its not my fault its somone elses.

yep and i agreed he was out of order. i know getting speeding tickets is a ****er and none of my comments are meant personally, but the bottom line is speed kills. a few miles an hour can make the difference in the levels of injuries. i know we all do it, me included, but god forbid a kid runs out in front of you, your going a little to fast for the speed limit cos your in a hurry and thats that for the rest of your life.

Sponsored Links
Back