Spin off from the "Another Shooting".thread.

If the tech crashes enough to do the damage you envision then everything crashes, boyo. Your cash will be just as useless.

Fact is boyo

That I have been into various shops / out let’s we’re there particular local tech has gone pear shaped and can’t take card payments

Same out let’s who do not accept cash normally

are than eager to take cash

Sponsored Links
We get paid by cheques quite a bit for work

In particular from the older generation

I can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, but have received a couple. recently The last one was at the start of lockdown, which at first I thought was annoying as the bank was closed, or I couldn't travel (can't remember), But then I discovered I could pay it in with my banking app, and paid my cheque in from my sofa. Well chuffed.

I can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, but have received a couple. recently The last one was at the start of lockdown, which at first I thought was annoying as the bank was closed, or I couldn't travel (can't remember), But then I discovered I could pay it in with my banking app, and paid my cheque in from my sofa. Well chuffed.

We use the local post office which is just opposite our office for paying in cheques

Sponsored Links
Speaking of cash, I've always had some bout the house, more than I'd need for the regular needs. So If I see something where cash works best for a few hundred quid, there's no rushing about. I kept it in a place which nobody would ever find. I actually went to a swap-meet where I might need cash the other day - first time for a couple of years. So I dug it out, thinking there might be 1500 or so. Found I had just under 8k in paper 20s and 50s, which are still legal tender - just. They have to be spent by Sept 20th.
Plastic only, after that.
Check you don't have any! They will still be ok to pay into a proper bank. Building societies won't take them once their time's up, iirc. Santander told me when I turned up with expired Elgars years ago that I'd have to take them to the Bank of England in Threadneedle Street central London. Utter nonsense, I paid them in to Lloyds, opposite.

... Santander told me when I turned up with expired Elgars years ago that I'd have to take them to the Bank of England in Threadneedle Street central London. Utter nonsense, I paid them in to Lloyds, opposite.
What they told you is the reliable truth.
Yes, you can usually pay discontinued notes into a bank or a post office, but they're aren't obligated to accept them, and it may depend on whether you have an account with them. Whereas the Bank of England is obligated to accept them from anyone: "I promise to pay the bearer.... etc".
The Bank of England do have a postal option.

Fact is boyo

That I have been into various shops / out let’s we’re there particular local tech has gone pear shaped and can’t take card payments

Same out let’s who do not accept cash normally

are than eager to take cash
You are more likely to starve these days in the absence of digital payment than you are with a prevalence of cash.

Good luck with your stash of tatty fivers Boyo.

What they told you is the reliable truth.
Yes, you can usually pay discontinued notes into a bank or a post office, but they're aren't obligated to accept them, and it may depend on whether you have an account with them. Whereas the Bank of England is obligated to accept them from anyone: "I promise to pay the bearer.... etc".
The Bank of England do have a postal option.
Not so according to the BOE, sir:
After 30 September 2022 people with a UK bank account will still be able to deposit withdrawn notes into their account. Some Post Offices may also accept withdrawn notes as payment for goods and services or as a deposit to an account accessed via them.

Pay them into your bank. But pick a clearing bank rather than a noddy bank which has to clear through another.
Twas always thus ime.

Last edited:
You are more likely to starve these days in the absence of digital payment than you are with a prevalence of cash.

Good luck with your stash of tatty fivers Boyo.

Cashless society

Blimey a bit rich coming from a builder :ROFLMAO:

If you checked 200 specific places in the house, it wouldn't be one of them. Behind a lighting rose? No, and that's about 14 fails...
If somebody knows its there, and knows you're away, they will find it.

Probably somewhere obvious like a floor safe under a floorboard below a false bottom on a cupboard, or something like that.

Sponsored Links
Back