Spirit Levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've always used Stanley stuff in the past, but recently started using Wickes Master screwdrivers, chisels, pliers etc so looking at their spirit levels.

Is there a justifiable price difference between their standard (yellow) and professional (red) spirit levels, indeed with any basic spirit level and a FatMax for example?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have found that quite often budget levels are usually out when compared to a good quality stablia. I recently bought a set (along with lots of other people probably) of forge steel ones from screwfix and the accuracy is not too hot. I mainly bought them for the 6 foot which i use more as a straight edge than a level.

At the end of the day many trades live and die by things being level and or plumb so you just can't take the risk. Nothing worse than finishing nailing a stud when you put a second level to it and the two don't agree.

Buy a stablia and don't look back.

Not a fan of Stabila, they feel to lightweight / flimsy to me

Stanley FatMax levels are every bit as accurate as Stabilas and feel very solidly built. They also carry a 10-year accuracy warranty, something that AFAIK Stabila don't offer

We get through levels like you would not believe!

You want the simplest design, easiest to clean with the horizontal vial positioned on the top edge and NOT in the centre of the bar.

Buy a 600mm and a 1200mm long, 50mm wide bar fellas.

The most robust, or the least likely to suffer damage are indeed stabila or stanley with stabila keeping their accuracy longer.

We change our levels every 8 months or so. I have used a lot of levels.

Sponsored Links
stabila are good, they do different shock ratings etc. their USA website says this:

Spirit Levels

STABILA spirit levels will maintain their stated accuracy for life. The vials on all STABILA levels will not fog, leak, or become inaccurate. If they do, you will be given a new level. Bent frames void warranty.

in the UK we must have a longer life expectancy as the guarantee is 10 years, not life.

nuff said.

oh, except to say that forge steel is massively over priced junk. i've had a few bits of the screwfix own brand forge steel and will never again 'take a chance' on it being 'alright this time'

but having said that, a friend has wickes red one and one of my oldest levels is a wickes yellow, and they are both good levels.

Lifetime guarantee doesn't mean YOUR lifetime.

At the end of the day, most levels are only as accurate as the plank that's using it. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

We get through levels like you would not believe!

We change our levels every 8 months or so. I have used a lot of levels.

You really need to stop hitting it with the lump hammer. Tap the brick instead :eek: :rolleyes: :p :p :p

Due to the recession, we've started using a bit of timber with "Bang on" written in the middle and at the ends

Is there a justifiable price difference between .... indeed with any basic spirit level and a FatMax for example?

Thanks

I have a FatMax 1800mm level and it weighs a ton but is solid and takes the knocks/drops. In use, it is better than a similar sized box Stabila we have as that is too light and falls all over the place and is awkward to hold. But the best thing with the stanley is that the vials are larger and easier to see.

I would not use a Fatmax as an every day 1000 or 1200mm level as it is too heavy - and IMO the light, thin box Stabila is the best for longevity and accuracy

Due to the recession, we've started using a bit of timber with "Bang on" written in the middle and at the ends

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Got Wickes yellow, had for a few years, good as gold but I don't abuse my tools like some.

A lot of Wickes stuff is rebranded, toolboxes same as Stanley's, handsaw's made in Sweden (Bahco?) Wickes pro range tools just rebadged Kress (decent brand)

Buy any level that takes your fancy, plus a Stabila so you can check that the first one's accurate. ;)

ive got stabilas,had the 6' nearly 20 years,4' even longer but the 2' 1 has been replaced in the last 18mths,and they have been checked with a laser level to make sure they are spot on.

i choose the stabila 6' over other types because i liked the fact that the vails were not right to the end because when your installing d/frames i would end up having to strech down to read with other levels.

What is it that makes the ForgeSteel ones so bad? I bought the pack from screwfix and it seems fine to me, as a DIYer, but then it was my first ever purchase of a spirit level, so I guess I don't know what I'm looking for!

It seemed like a good deal, as I needed a small one but also a larger one for paving.

It is just a fundamental problem of them not being that accurate. I would bet that when compared with another level at least one of your set will not be quite right. Also even the ones that start ok tend to gradually (over months and years) lose their accuracy.

All the same i mainly bought them for the six foot sucker for paving etc so it's fine for that.

Regardless of accuracy you should always check level twice, second time with level reversed. If it reads the same both ways its level. I have an adjustable glaziers level and check it regularly on a dead level surface. Also I would never use a bubble for verticle on a long level - a hairline out on the bubble of a 6ft level will be half inch out on the length. I allways use a plumb rule made of yellow pine with a lead weight.

I have two wickes red levels. They are Draper expert , re-branded. I have to say I find them pretty good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back