Split 6mm cable for ovens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have installed a 6mm cable to run 2 ovens in my kitchen. They are just 2 standard hardwire 13amp single ovens. I have a 2.5mm heat proof cable tail running off each oven. Which I was planning to run to a fused switch for each oven.

My question is how can I spilt the 6mm cable down to connect to the back of each fused switch? Can I just run it into an appropriate junction box? Then have 2 x smaller cables coming out of that to link up with my fused switches?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have installed a 6mm cable to run 2 ovens in my kitchen.
From where? Is it a new circuit? If so, who designed and tested it, and was Building Regulations approval obtained?

My question is how can I spilt the 6mm cable down to connect to the back of each fused switch? Can I just run it into an appropriate junction box?
As long as the JB complies with the rules for accessibility or being maintenance free, and the installation of the cable complies with the rules for concealed cables, yes.

Then have 2 x smaller cables coming out of that to link up with my fused switches?
Yes, as long as ditto for concealed cables and as long as the smaller cables are OK for fault and overload protection given the circuit protective device, or the designer is happy that omitting overload protection where the size reduces is OK.

Thanks for the reply.

It’s a new 6mm installed by an electrician. It’s going to a dedicated MCB. Yes we have building reg’s in place.

Is it possible to get maintenance free junction boxes for 6mm cable?

As it’s a 13amp oven can I just used a standard 13amp fused switch?

Does the 6mm cable go to an outlet plate?
You can purchase dual outlet plates, this would allow you then to take separate feeds to 13FCUs.

Sponsored Links
I would think that if the ovens are 13A then they will come with a plug so two single sockets.

If not then you shouldn't use a 'fused switch' either.

Thanks again.

Probably should have read the manual! It says it requires 13A Fuse protection! Also a 1.5mm cable.

I will have a look for one of those dual outlet plates are they quite common?

Probably should have read the manual! It says it requires 13A Fuse protection! Also a 1.5mm cable. ... I will have a look for one of those dual outlet plates are they quite common?
I'm not at all sure that you need such a plate. You're going to need either 2 sockets (with 13A fused plugs) or two 13A FCUs. You need to split (and possibly reduce in size - although that might cause some debate) the 6mm² feed cable - but that could be done in some sort of junction box. I don't think you'll find a 'maintenance-free' one that will take 6mm² cable, so it probably would need to be 'accessible' (again, the definition being open to debate) - but so would a dual outlet plate.

Kind Regards, John

Surely the 6mm² can be connected to the first socket or FCU with a smaller cable to the second.

Shame 6mm² has an odd number of strands.

No - I shouldn't think of that suggestion.

Surely the 6mm² can be connected to the first socket or FCU with a smaller cable to the second.
That was my first thought, but, on the basis of past experience, it is very likely that (although you and I disagree) some here would probably argue that (in view of the rating of the upstream OPD) the cable between first and second switches/FCUs would also have to be 6mm², I feared that it might be difficult getting 2 x 6mm² conductors into the first accessory.

However, I personally would do as you suggest (with a smaller CSA cable between the accessories) - so maybe I was wrong to be influenced by what I feared/suspected 'others' would say!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back