Split oil tank advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi does any oil guys know if a split in tank can be repaired or it it new one reqd please?

Going by the pic, is it likely that it has been done deliberately by someone or anyway it can split like that due to not being supported correctly etc?

Tank is on a raised plinth approx 700mm off ground and is not on correct sized plinth with overhang if I recall, I am waiting on another pic of whole setup.

Sponsored Links
Don't laugh but I have heard that SOAP can be rubbed into the crack to act as a temporary measure.

A number of plastic tanks that were supposed to last 20+ years have splits or cracks at a much younger age.

Quite possible that a small leak can be stemmed temporarily with soap. I've seen stern glands on boats sealed with lard whilst the propeller shaft is removed, but there is a much deeper hole to pack.
There's no permanent repair, and a temporary repair may fail when a tank is refilled due to different stresses.

I have used Soap to stem a leak on a brim full 2500 tank the leak was at the bottom too!! it stopped the leak dead for 2 weeks giving the client time to have a new tank fitted in a "compliant position" elsewhere

if the tank is not evenly supported it can easily crack, so make sure your new one is properly installed and NO permanent repair is not possible! ;)

Sponsored Links
These bloody things really spook me.....
I changed my 2500 litre steel tank for a plastic one (1400 litre bunded).
It's as heavy as hell and the size of a small house, yet has small capacity.
Can I go back to steel if I want, and does that have to be bunded too?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back