Splitting live light feed within switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my two gang switches has a link wire between the two commons and a neutral present so the second outbound wire is just a live, neutral and earth to the light fitting. Is this just another way of doing it as I thought the live should be looped at the fittings and then two switch wires to the switch?

Sponsored Links
More & more lighting circuits are wired this way, with the loop at the switch position.

It is common also for a single fitting where the live & neutral & earth feed enters the switch & the switch & neutral & earth exit it.

Sponsored Links
So there's nothing wrong with it and I can copy it at another switch that's getting moved? Having the neutral there means I can add home automation modules to it at a later date. I just couldn't find a reference to it in the on-site guide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back