Splitting the circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently discovered that my consumer unit needs changing. Before I call in the electricain I need to know what work needs to be done.

I have a 4 fuse wylex CU with 1 ring main, 1 radial lighting circuit, shower circuit and power to my house alarm.

My questions are the house is a 2 bedroom end town house, Does the ring need to be split into 2, upstairs and down?
does the lighting circuit have to be spilt aswell?
The cables are the PVC type with the old colours, do they need to be replaced with the new colour cables? If not can the different colour types be mixed if new cable is required to spilt the circuit?

I would appreciate any help, I would like to know what needs doing before I get quotes.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
ideally they should be split, so if one trips (say down lights, the up lights are still on)

as for rewiring it depends how old the cables are

they will be getting a bit old, since they are 31 years old.

a rewire would also be easier than spliiting, bessides have you really got enough sockets for your tv, video, dvd, radio, satelite / freeview box, bedside lamp, clock radio, computer, printer, scanner...............

Sponsored Links
You do not need to split the circuits, but it is more desireable to do so.

There is no need to rewire just because you have old coloured cables, but as breezer said the cables are getting old and now might be the time to add all those extra sockets you need. As for mixing new and old colours, this is not a problem providing warning notice(s) are fitted.

This table shows the recommended number of twin socket points per room.
points2a.jpg

Notes:
1. Kitchen – if a socket-outlet is provided in the cooker control unit, this should not be included in the 6 recommended in the Table above.
The socket-outlets are primarily for portable appliance connections. Fixed
appliances should have appropriate additional outlets. Some appliances such as a central heating boiler are likely to require an additional socket-outlet, which should be borne in mind in the initial installation design. It has been shown as a separate item in the schedule, as its location can vary according to the dwelling.

Fixed equipment such as Immersion Heaters should not be connected via socket outlets: a separate circuit should be provided,
incorporating a double pole switch of appropriate rating.
Rule of thumb as follows: - Allow 0.8 to 1 double sockets per linear metre above worktop (minimum)

2. Garage – The number of socket-outlets specified allows for the use of a battery charger, tools, portable light and garden appliances. It is important that this circuit be protected by a high sensitivity residual current device (earth leakage circuit breaker).

3. Single Bedroom – it is envisaged that this room will be used in different ways in different households. It may be used simply as a child’s bedroom requiring socket-outlets for table lamps, an electric blanket and a fire only; or it may serve as a teenager’s bedroom and living room combined, where friends are entertained. In this case, socket outlets may be needed for hifi/home cinema system, hairdryer, television and radio, in addition to lamps, a blanket and a fire.

The room may also be used as a student’s bed sitting room, in which case socketoutlets may be needed for a grill or toaster, iron, hi-fi equipment, home computer and a kettle, in addition to items already mentioned. If the room is used for the latter purpose, the minimum number of twin outlets should be increased to 4, as shown in the Table above.

4. TV entertainment areas – it is recommended to install two double socket outlets in these areas as a minimum; this is in addition to other socket outlets in the room.

5. For high specification properties – a good specification for general rooms is to install a double socket outlet in each corner of the room.

6. Halls - single socket outlets may be fitted as an alternative in halls.

RF lighting and breezer, thanks for taking the time to reply, that is a great help.
The warning notices, is there a website where I could look at one and where it should be fitted.

This is all good information to be armed with when getting quotes, thanks.

The warning notice should look like this

TLLAB49.JPG

It should be stuck to the fuse box.

It can be purchased from here

woko27,

does the ring final circuit exceed a floor area of more than 100m2?

A periodic inspection report will be required before changing a consumer unit. Recommendation would be a competent electrician who is NICEIC registerd or equivalent.

Smiley said:
A periodic inspection report will be required before changing a consumer unit

No it won't

Recommendation would be a competent electrician who is NICEIC registerd or equivalent.

This is a good idea, although does not guarantee a good job.

You should be looking for an electrician who is a member of a self certification scheme, and make sure you are issued with a an electrical installation certificate, and a certificate of building regulations compliance once the job is completed.

RMS, The ring isn't 100m2, its only a 2 bedroom house.

RF lighting I know about EIC's but what is a building regulation complience cert?

Thanks.

woko27 said:
what is a building regulation complience cert?

Electrical work in the home is governed by the Building Regulations.
Anything other than minor works must be shown to comply and there are two methods:
1. Submit an application (and fee) to your local building control office, have the work done and comply with the bco's inspection regime, after which they will issue a certificate of compliance.
2. Employ a registered electrician who will certify his own work and inform his registration body who will then notify building control and issue your compliance certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back