spot the problem? sparks

Hi

thanks for replies

external meter box tails in cavity - 1 way con unit fed garage - no earth in t+e feeding wee cu earth form big cu earth form rcd into wee cu

as you can see no over current protection apart from service fuse.

I assume that the installer saw 40a on rcd and assumed this device provided OC SC or probably ignorant of function of rcd

seen this a few times - replaced all with new consumer unit btw

re" hot wiring" from top of isolator ( very common) not condoning this as its rough- contacts not designed for this- but is there any reg that prohibits this what would you code it on a PIR.

Sponsored Links
The photo clearly says it is a BS4293 device which is basically the standard for an RCCB before they became EN61008. The trip times altered slightly between the two standards too.
An RCCB on its own does not offer any overcurrent protection.
An RCCB is what a lot of people call an RCD, however RCD is a generic term covering a number of devices such as RCCBs, SRCDs, RCBOs (which also has overcurrent protection).
iirc I have seen some RCBOs which have BS4293 printed on them as well as EN60898 for the overcurrent protection, think they were Square D Qoe.

i am aware that rcd is a generic term that has now entered the lexicon as the term to describe rccbs.

sorry for any confusion.

Sponsored Links
external meter box tails in cavity - 1 way con unit fed garage - no earth in t+e feeding wee cu earth form big cu earth form rcd into wee cu

Any chance you could add some punctuation here so that we might decipher what you are trying to say? Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back