Spray painting new feather edge fence boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.... I have just built a short length of new fencing to my boundary and want to paint the face that will be on the neighbours side. I would like to paint it so that it looks decent from their side. There is nobody living there at the moment as it was rented out but the house is now being sold so no easily available neighbour to discuss with but I'd like to get it done sooner rather than later. I've read online that painting new pressure treated timber is a bad idea and that you have to let it thoroughly dry first but I wondered how long I would really need to leave it when the boards are relatively thin (11mm feather edge boards from WIckes).

Does anyone have any idea or experience of applying (Cuprinol) spray paint to a new fence ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother doing it. Paint is probably the worst covering as it will start flaking off in no time and they'll then be left with panels of patchy paint. You'd be going round every year to re-paint it.

Pressure treated panels are best left as they are. I put a whole run of new posts and boards in my garden in 2018. They were a lovely shade of tan brown when installed but are now all faded grey. I can re-stain them but they will have faded again within a few years. Since they were installed they've largely been covered with shrubs which have matured and grown to cover them.

I wouldn't bother doing it. Paint is probably the worst covering as it will start flaking off in no time and they'll then be left with panels of patchy paint. You'd be going round every year to re-paint it.

Pressure treated panels are best left as they are. I put a whole run of new posts and boards in my garden in 2018. They were a lovely shade of tan brown when installed but are now all faded grey. I can re-stain them but they will have faded again within a few years. Since they were installed they've largely been covered with shrubs which have matured and grown to cover them.
Thanks for the input. Just to be clear, I used the term paint in my initial post but I actually mean fence "treatment" spray such as the link below....

https://www.diy.com/departments/cup...-fence-shed-treatment-5l/5010212650950_BQ.prd

Not sure if this would change your view ?

Sponsored Links
Agree with @foxhole -- decking oil is better.

It will still fade over time. I bought some from B&Q for this gazebo I built in 2019. It had largely faded by 2021 to the point where it was just a yellowy grey. I've no doubt it was protecting the timber, but the aesthetics were diminished.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back