spraying finnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys ,would machines be benificial to my partner and i to use for skimming out houses. and how much would it cost for 1 for blowing on skim.any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
ok guys ,would machines be benificial to my partner and i to use for skimming out houses. and how much would it cost for 1 for blowing on skim.any help would be appreciated.

You'll have to see someone using it to make up your mind but here is my view -

For floating (render, hardwall, one coat) you won't beat a machine.

For skimming

- you can still only trowel up a certain amount (ability/conditions/type of area).

- unlike floating, you only want to put on a 2-3mm even coat which is very hard to do spraying and you have to flatten the coat well (you know what I mean is you have sprayed before) before you can do anything with it

- to get a second coat on you have to do it all again, and it is hard to get a tight second coat on . If you go the one coat route, then a heavy coat of finish (because that is what you will get spraying) will give you a poor finish -poorer than a one coat applied by trowel.

- staple or sick scrims with a bit of fat here and there

The time spent cleaning and setting up vs your time to put on a set is something only you can work out.

I'd imagine a half hour per set to clean/set up at the very least. Unlike render or floating(where you can spray your full day's work in one go) you will have to do this twice/thrice a day.

I have seen it done, not impressed at all BUT like anything if you are switched on, prepared to adapt you will find a system.

The pros/cons for you depend a lot on how much you can skim at the moment, and how long it takes you to get a coat on.

eg if you can skim 30-40 m2 of flat work in 2-3 hours now look at how long each coat takes to apply , what time spent trowelling, mixing etc

If you struggle with a 30 m ceiling on your own, then a machine is not for you.

at last a machine man with sense!machines are good tools when applied to the right job but at the end its down to the skills of the spread,skimming in my veiw is about working the tack ,its a waste of horse power to spay as micilin said ,mono and rough coats yes cause thats donkey work(as in hard collar)but for skim i think you'd lose more yards than gain,and seeing as you haven't much experience with a machine more than a few blocked hoses with a snap set gear :cry:
edit ta say may cost you a few bob to store it when its asleep,they may not nick your pump but that £4000 generater you bought will evaporate unless bolted down!
pardon spells!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back