Spur a outdoor heater from an outdoor light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to attach a heater on the external wall to provide some warmth when sat on a bench we have. We current have two outdoor lights that run off mains and turn on when motion is detected, about a meter from where i would like the heater to go.
My question is, can i take a spur off the lights and use it to power the heater and if not, whats the best way to find a mains cable. The outside is all painted pebble dash and the inside is all fitted kitchen units so don't see how to get to power otherwise?
Many thanks,
Joe.

Sponsored Links
The answer is no. Unless you want to be sat in the dark and cold.

Suggest you contact an electrician to advise and quote for this.
It will need rcd protection as well.

Why wouldnt it work?
Is it that the heater would overload the circuit? If that's the case, if i can find a mains cable and spur off that then ill be fine as those are already RCD protected?
Thanks for replying.

Sponsored Links
how many amps does your heater draw? What circuit supplies the existing outdoor lighting and what protective device covers the lighting? How large is the existing supply cable?

It would be my guess, that any heater thats going to do anything worthwhile outside on a patio, will use enough power that it will need its own dedicated circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back