Spur off a light Switch ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a single 2 way light switch (wired up to another 2 way switch to control a particular light elsewhere). I would like to add a new separately switched light very close (within 2 feet) to the 2 way light switch (I just need more light in that area which is a little cubby hole under the stairs).

Is it ok to swap the single switch for a double switch (wiring up one side as before) and then spur off that switch to the "new" second switch (right next to it) and then run the new light?

I hope this makes sense. As it is under the stairs and the exisiting bulb and other circuits are a fair distance away this seems the most practical.

If it is then any notes on exactly how to connect up would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely that you will have a neutral connection in your switch

you may want to see sticky for refernce to see how it should be done, but usualy you can not do as you ask

You may not even have a permanent live at that switch, either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

Now that I have sat down and sketched the circuit all out I see the logic and where you guys are coming from (you may have guessed by now that this is not my day job!).

Oh well - back to the drawing board....but thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back