Spur, Ring or separate thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a double socket on the outside wall at the back of my house (external IP rated socket), it's taking power from the kitchen ring which just happens to have a socket inside the building directly behind the socket on the outside -very handy. The external socket is on a spur from the internal socket. Some questions....

1. Is this within regulations? (ignoring the fact that the spur cable is bog standard 2.5 T+E which I'm sure is outside regs).

2. Given how close the two socket are (only the cavity wall thickness apart) would it not be better to break the ring and add the external socket in to the ring?

3. Perhaps this socket needs a separate circuit (or best practice would be to have a separate circuit)?

4. Perhaps you can use bog standard T & E to connect to external sockets if it's in a conduit? the cable running to mine has no such protection!

YES ..... - BC notified ages ago!

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/electr...-separate-thing.403626/#3117203#ixzz32wNpJZwB

Sponsored Links
I've got a double socket on the outside wall at the back of my house (external IP rated socket), it's taking power from the kitchen ring which just happens to have a socket inside the building directly behind the socket on the outside -very handy.
That's probably why it is where it is.

The external socket is on a spur from the internal socket. Some questions....
1. Is this within regulations? (ignoring the fact that the spur cable is bog standard 2.5 T+E which I'm sure is outside regs).
Yes. 'Bog standard' sounds derogatory. It is suitable for the purpose.

2. Given how close the two socket are (only the cavity wall thickness apart) would it not be better to break the ring and add the external socket in to the ring?
No. There would be no advantage.

3. Perhaps this socket needs a separate circuit (or best practice would be to have a separate circuit)?
No, although that does have advantages it would be much more expensive.

4. Perhaps you can use bog standard T & E to connect to external sockets if it's in a conduit? the cable running to mine has no such protection!
That may be better for protection but not electrically.

YES ..... - BC notified ages ago!
It used to be notifiable but no longer.

The only thing missing is a dp isolator in case of a fault with the outdoor socket, but I think that's good practice rather than regs per se. What did BR say about it when you notified and why do you think that wasn't enough? You don't say if any of this has an rcd

Hi,

Firstly, thanks all for input, much appreciated...

An isolator sounds like a good idea.

Regarding the "bog standard T + E": I thought the cable needed to be exterior rated but then I guess the run we're talking about here isn't really external at any time.

Regarding putting the socket into the ring as opposed to on a spur, fair point, I guess the only difference would be the current on the very short spur cable being double the value I'd have than if I had wired it into the ring but the single 2.5 is good for the current so as you've pointed out... no real advantage.

All circuits are RCD protected

BC hasn't said anything about this part of the installation, I'm just checking what's currently installed.

Sponsored Links
Regarding the "bog standard T + E": I thought the cable needed to be exterior rated but then I guess the run we're talking about here isn't really external at any time.
Nope.

Regarding putting the socket into the ring as opposed to on a spur, fair point, I guess the only difference would be the current on the very short spur cable being double the value I'd have than if I had wired it into the ring but the single 2.5 is good for the current so as you've pointed out... no real advantage.
On the contrary.
As it is, the spur is only subject to the current being used outside -
instead of the current of all the loads at that point on the ring.

All circuits are RCD protected
All is well then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back