Square edge floorboard gap filling advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving on from my succesful parquet restoration ....

I'm tackling original floorboards in an Edwardian property. Some of the worst cracked and chopped up boards have been replaced by boards from un-needed but identical boards from upstairs.

The ground floor is a suspended timber floor. The average gap between adjacent boards at the moment (May) is about 3mm with a few gaps just over 4mm and the smallest about 1mm with the odd board butted up against its neighbour with no gap.

What is the best long term solution to gap filling please?

I have seen for sale some old pine slivers, essentially wedges of reclaimed pine boards. I'm not too fussed about a slight colour mismatch as I'll be staining the boards ultimately. Would it be sensible to fill ALL gaps with such strips which presumably won't fall through in due course. Or is it back to the sawdust and the Bona mix and fill? Has anyone used purchased slivers? Are they worth it?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
the answer is simple you lift boards 2 to 30 you mix the first 6 up so the nails go in different holes you wedge them up with an average 2mm gap you will need another board to fill the 30-60mm gap at the other side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back