Stair Lights

rcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Does anyone know where stair lights are actually fitted? I've got Thermaboard drylining (polystyrene backed plasterboard) but we want stair lights so I guess I have 2 options......the first being to cut out the wood in the stair side kick board and the second is to chase out the plasterboard. I'm concerned that the lights would be too hot to be fitted in thermaboard and be a fire hazard. My other concern is that cutting in to the stair kick board is weakening the structure of the stair.
Any help appreciated.
rcs.

Sponsored Links
What sort of stair lights? What wattage, and what type of lamp? Are you fitting them in the riser or in the stringer?

I'm at the planning stage at the moment so I'm figuring 20-25 watt Low Voltage Halogen. I think the stringer is the side of the stair isn't it? If so, that's where I'd be putting them, not in the riser. I've thought about putting them in the wall above the stringers, but don't know if the heat will be a problem with the Thermaboard.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Dont use halogen lamps. The heat probably wont be a problem with the wallboard, but it will be a problem when kids touch them and people set fire to their clothes as they brush past.

See here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:gu10

I recommend you use the LED lamps. They are about 2 watts each, and run very cool. In fact, I have one, and I can put my hand on its face with no ill effects, it is stone cold after an hour being on.

LED lamps are perfect for this "decorative" lighting due to their efficiency and their temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back