Stephen Fry & God

This is just another reason why Stephen Fry is awesome.

I'm quite happy for others to believe in whatever they like, as long as it doesn't impact anyone else. Any organised religion is a construct of man, and flawed from the get-go... in my opinion.

Deism and Atheism, those are some good options - I'm in the former camp.

Sponsored Links
stephen frys understanding of God is a carnel understanding.

all four accounts matthew,mark ,luke , john are all accurate.

You haven't understood my question, or don't understand the Bible.

You have suggested that Fry should read the Gospels.

I asked you which of the Four Gospels you think is accurate, not which translation of the New Testament you prefer.

Even if it is one of the Synoptic Gospels, which one do you consider to be accurate or , if you like, the inspired word of God?

I've done quite a bit of Bible study. I dare say Fry has done a bit too.
I'm getting the distinct impression you haven't.

Ok, that's a huge statement to make - and confirms to me that despite you saying Fry should read the gospels, you have not studied them yourself.

By saying they are 'all accurate' then you are saying that they all have the same detail and the reader won't find any contradictions between any of them.
Because if we find even one contradiction then I'm afraid they can't all be accurate.

Would you like to row back a little, or do you still maintain they are?

When you say 'carnel' do you really mean he has found a loophole in your defences, or did you mean 'carnal'?

Sponsored Links
Well, that's conclusive then. Going on the only evidence available (the bible) god was either a very nasty piece of work or the bible is incorrect. Or you could take the nice bits and stick your fingers in your ears and sing, dah dee dah dee dum dee dee dee dah... for the bad bits. If it makes it easier.

It's amusing that some people still don't realise that God is man-made.

Over the millennia, people have felt the need to worship something, probably in order to supply a feeling of security: trees - animals - statues - invisible beings in the sky (the last is probably the best option, because there's no way to challenge or destroy this one!).

After a time, someone had the bright idea that if they could persuade people that they had the exclusive means to communicate with this god (whatever the current choice happened to be), they would acquire a distinct and unassailable power. And so, organised religions were born.

One reason why the concept has persisted for such a long time is that people naturally feel the need for guidance and support in their lives. Those of us who are atheists call this our conscience although, admittedly, some of us don't seem to have one.

You haven't understood my question, or don't understand the Bible.

You have suggested that Fry should read the Gospels.

I asked you which of the Four Gospels you think is accurate, not which translation of the New Testament you prefer.

Even if it is one of the Synoptic Gospels, which one do you consider to be accurate or , if you like, the inspired word of God?

I've done quite a bit of Bible study. I dare say Fry has done a bit too.
I'm getting the distinct impression you haven't.

Ok, that's a huge statement to make - and confirms to me that despite you saying Fry should read the gospels, you have not studied them yourself.

By saying they are 'all accurate' then you are saying that they all have the same detail and the reader won't find any contradictions between any of them.
Because if we find even one contradiction then I'm afraid they can't all be accurate.

Would you like to row back a little, or do you still maintain they are?

When you say 'carnel' do you really mean he has found a loophole in your defences, or did you mean 'carnal'?

this is a better way of putting it

1 Corinthians 2:14New King James Version (NKJV)

14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

this is a better way of putting it

1 Corinthians 2:14New King James Version (NKJV)

14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

No, that's not a better way of putting it, that's an unrelated quote that you are using to avoid answering the question.

If natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, then how did he receive the scriptures?

Please give me something difficult next time ...or , and this might be radical, answer I your own words the question I posed- Which of the four Gospels is the accurate one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=-suvkwNYSQo&x-yt-cl=85114404&feature=player_embedded

Watched this interview this morning and the interviewer is utterly speechless!

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Stephens comments.

perhaps Fry should take into account reincarnation , then he wouldn’t be so .. smug.
but the majority of us aren’t ready for that apparently , ask Hoddle
;)

e.g. it explains Fry's overly feminine condition - i.e a string of previous lives lived in the opposite sex body, than a swap and we have the very manly or very feminine - If there is not the proper control learned to accompany the change.
On the plus side we have all the talents reappear , those where we have been studious in past times, we take up again with ease and some of us get called genius.
Those we have loved greatly are drawn to us ; if it has been a close attachment , we (mistakenly) call it love at first sight.
similarly those we have battled before , we meet again ..
The law of cause and effect works perfectly.
We reap what we sow. If we live by the sword we die by the sword ( but not necessarily in the same life )
; these the incidents that befall seemingly innocent people .
However, we learn and we grow & unfold life after life, becoming Wiser and making less mistakes - through the ever increasing voice of our conscience - which is the essence of our previous experiences trying to help us follow the right path this time.

eg it explains Fry's overly feminine condition - i.e a string of previous lives lived in the opposite sex body, than a swap and we have the very manly or very feminine. If there is not the proper control learned to accompany the change.
on the plus side we have all the talents reappear , those we have been studious in past times, we take up again with ease and some of us get called genius.
Those we have loved greatly are drawn to us , if it has been a close attachment , we(mistakenly) call it love at first sight.
similarly those we have battled before , we meet again ..
the law of cause and effect works perfectly.
we reap what we sow. If we live by the sword we die by the sword ( but not necessarily in the same life)
these the incidents that befall seemingly innocent people .
but we learn and we grow and unfold life after life, becoming wiser and making less mistakes through the ever increasing voice of our conscience - which is the essence of our previous experiences trying to help us follow the right path this time.
Not bad for a word generator. :rolleyes:

After all that - nobody has actually taken issue with the detail of what Fry said.

Posters have either agreed with him, or been unable to come up with a response to his reasoning by countering his comments.

Well done, Bahco.

After all that - nobody has actually taken issue with the detail of what Fry said.

Posters have either agreed with him, or been unable to come up with a response to his reasoning by countering his comments.

Well done, Bahco.
Yep.

Personally I pray most nights for the wellbeing of my friends and family, and for enlightenment and peace of mind for those who wish to use a b@stardisation of the purpose of religion (IMHO) to further their own selfish and abused ways. I do this in the hope and offchance that some good may come of it and that the longshot hope that there is a god which might one day actually do something benevolent and proactive for a change. Trouble is, Fry makes extremely valid points which I'd imagine coincide with most people's frustrations at god's apparent disinterest and indeed makes more and more people inclined to think that he doesn't exist which may well be the case. But hope springs eternal, eh?. :confused:

Well done, Bahco.
Yep.

Personally I pray most nights for the wellbeing of my friends and family, and for enlightenment and peace of mind for those who wish to use a b@stardisation of the purpose of religion (IMHO) to further their own selfish and abused ways. I do this in the hope and offchance that some good may come of it and that the longshot hope that there is a god which might one day actually do something benevolent and proactive for a change. Trouble is, Fry makes extremely valid points which I'd imagine coincide with most people's frustrations at god's apparent disinterest and indeed makes more and more people inclined to think that he doesn't exist which may well be the case. But hope springs eternal, eh?. :confused:

'Hope springs eternal'

The human condition right there?

Sponsored Links
Back