Stephen Fry & God

Many times in the past I've asked religious people to explain how they know that we are supposed to worship god? How do they know that god is even good and not actually an evil entity playing with humanity like a bug in a jar? None have ever been able to explain it.
Have you ever asked the same people to explain to you exactly what love is?

love is

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Sponsored Links
You haven't understood my question, or don't understand the Bible.

You have suggested that Fry should read the Gospels.

I asked you which of the Four Gospels you think is accurate, not which translation of the New Testament you prefer.

Even if it is one of the Synoptic Gospels, which one do you consider to be accurate or , if you like, the inspired word of God?

I've done quite a bit of Bible study. I dare say Fry has done a bit too.
I'm getting the distinct impression you haven't.

Cancer is man made according to many scientists. I thought SF was an intelligent chap.
Throwing his toys out of the pram and having a hissy fit isn't going to help children suffering from cancer.

Sponsored Links
Cancer is man made according to many scientists. I thought SF was an intelligent chap.
Throwing his toys out of the pram and having a hissy fit isn't going to help children suffering from cancer.
You silly billy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-finding-trace-disease-Egyptian-mummies.html

'"There is nothing in the natural environment that can cause cancer. So it has to be a man-made disease, down to pollution and changes to our diet and lifestyle."

Interesting stuff. Mind you, some scientists reckon they can disprove the existence of god, so one really should beware cherry picking, eh Norcon ;) :mrgreen:

Only royalty were mummified, so the scientists have been testing samples of the best genetic specimens of the time, not the whole population, who may have been riddled with cancer but turned into worm food in short order.

In fairness, the researchers seem to have been happy to discard any alternative hypotheses or evidence ;)

On the other hand, wasn't there an awful lot of incestuous goings on in the royal egyptian familes. Based on the need/desire to retain the wealth within the family.

In which case any cancerous genes would have been magnified.

Only if they were there to start with. You may well have explained why there weren't any found, contrary to what you seem to suggest :p
oops, being a DM quote by Norcon I didn't bother reading it 'cos I assumed I could guess the content. How wrong I was.

I'll write out "I must read the links in future", especially as I've accused others of not providing any or not reading them.
:oops: :oops:

Think it's a moot point whether it's 'man made' or not, surely the buck stops with god, being an outcome of his creation. doesn't say anything in the bible about stopping the industrial revolution, or e numbers in fizzy drinks.

'"There is nothing in the natural environment that can cause cancer. So it has to be a man-made disease, down to pollution and changes to our diet and lifestyle."

Hmm not sure Marie Curie would agree with you there Norcon. She died from aplastic anaemia caused by the radiation from the (naturally occurring) elements she and her husband researched. ;) ;)

What about torcher, rape, subjugation of women, slavery, genocide and all the general death and bloodshed that god was obsessed with.

None of that sounds very loving. I presume you do believe all that since it is so well documented in the bible?

Sponsored Links
Back