Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

That just how you choose to intrepet it.
The fact is a child going to sunday school to learn is a long way from being "out of order" as you put it.

What is out of order is an organisation of adults teaching impressionable young minds their beliefs as though they were fact. That's bang out of order mister.

So an adult in one of these organisations teaching a child that killing another human being for example is "wrong" is "out of order" ?
mister :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
So an adult teaching a child that killing another human being for example is "wrong" is "out of order" ?
mister

There you go again. You think children need to go to sunday school to be taught that? :rolleyes:

So an adult teaching a child that killing another human being for example is "wrong" is "out of order" ?
mister

There you go again. You think children need to go to sunday school to be taught that? :rolleyes:

So its not "out of order" then when a good parent teaches it?
Mister. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did any of you go to Sunday School? I didn't but some of my friends did, they hated it. I was out playing and they were off to school to learn about the big man.

Sponsored Links
mister

You're being incredibly dense, deliberately I'm sure. Let me rephrase my original objection to the way I should have written it in the first place and we'll see if you can argue against that.

What is out of order is an organisation of adults teaching impressionable young minds their religous beliefs as though they were fact. That's bang out of order mister.

That just how you choose to intrepet it.
The fact is a child going to sunday school to learn is a long way from being "out of order" as you put it.

You sure about that? I know of a lad, lives in his parents' house (they live miles away); he was brought up by his religious parents. The house is a mess, he drinks, does drugs, smokes, the lot.

His Dad's a Vicar. Explain that one.

100% sure. Just because he follows that path in life doesn't mean attendance at sunday school was/is "out of order".

mister

You're being incredibly dense, deliberately I'm sure. Let me rephrase my original objection to the way I should have written it in the first place and we'll see if you can argue against that.

What is out of order is an organisation of adults teaching impressionable young minds their religous beliefs as though they were fact. That's bang out of order mister.

So an adult in one of these organisations teaching a child that killing another human being for example is "wrong" is "out of order" ?
mister :rolleyes:

You're being incredibly dense, deliberately I'm sure.

When the arguments lost the insults begin. :rolleyes:

mister

Not at all, and no one here has said that it is. But the adult that teaches a child that their particular god exists is bang out of order as has been said. The adult that teaches a child that this god is watching him morning noon and night, in everything he thinks, says, and does for every minute of his life is bang out of order. Teaching children right from wrong is fine, god is not a necessary part of that process. If the church wanted people to come to rational decisions as to what they believe, they wouldn't try to indoctrinate them from babyhood. Is that clear enough? mister.

But there is a God. I dropped a three ton concrete skip unto shuttering yesterday through carelessness and nearly killed a guy.
He's big, moves slow, has poor eyesight and was knocked off the scaffolding to the ground and I'm at a loss as to how he escaped unhurt.
The man above was definately at work!

But there is a God. I dropped a three ton concrete skip unto shuttering yesterday through carelessness and nearly killed a guy.
He's big, moves slow, has poor eyesight and was knocked off the scaffolding to the ground and I'm at a loss as to how he escaped unhurt.

Whereas, maybe you shouldn't be? :eek:

You're entitled to your beliefs, you're not entitled to foist them onto kids.

Religion is just a belief, to stop people going mental, isn't it? Whether that is church, a football team, or shoes.

But Stephen Hawking saying that dead computers don't have an afterlife is completely incorrect. A dead computer is easilly resurrected, with a chip or fuse or whatever. Jesus and all that stuff..? Last time I was in church, it seemed like a cult (which I suppose it is), with a bit of Karaoke thrown in (the hymns sung), and I felt uneasy about it. A funeral service in church seems like OK another one, lets get it over with, follow the script. Older people generally seem to go to church, 'religiously', so as when they don't turn up, everyone says, "Ey, Where Mavis?", only to discover them dead, a kind of register, for the living.

But Stephen Hawking saying that dead computers don't have an afterlife is completely incorrect. A dead computer is easilly resurrected, with a chip or fuse or whatever.

And the contents of its memory are long gone. Like the contents of the human brain after a few moments without oxygen.

If we truly understood death it might have such a profound effect on humanity that life might not be worth living, perhaps its better that we dont know.
Death raises all sorts of questions , such as is there a reason to existence? And if not , why bother.

Stephen Hawkins may be able to explain some of the obvious science behind our existence but as most opinions his are/could be bias half truths and there may well be a spiritual side to this story that he cannot explain , therefore he steps around the subject , or perhaps not , i've yet to read his book.

If there is a spiritual side then when our population rises are we creating new spirits? Where do they go when we die? There must be an awful lot of them. One explanation is that we are all part of the same spirit.

please note ''spirit'' could mean anything , life force , energy , whatever.

edit - and this is before breakfast. :eek:

Mickymoody";p="1994284 said:
Religion is just a belief, to stop people going mental, isn't it? Whether that is church, a football team, or shoes.

A dead computer is easilly resurrected, ......... Jesus and all that stuff..?

A simpler explanation for "the resurrection" is that Jesus was a revolutionary, a member of a radical faction. He had a crisis of confidence, and left that faction.
His "death" was figurative - non-members were considered "dead". When he rejoined the faction, he was "alive" again.
No supernatural powers involved - just different use of words (which is hardly a surprise, given the elapsed time).[/b][/i]

Sponsored Links
Back