Sticky Tidy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone has noticed I have done a new sticky just for wiring (as I needed to do some rewiring) and want some suggestions on what to do with the other stickys.

Admin does not want too many stickys as he prefers it to all be in the Wiki so..........can we have your suggestions pls?

Ban has suggested deleting as it is all in the Wiki anyway. What do you think and is the wiring Sticky ok i.e I am not a sparky and just wanted some simple diagrams to follow.
Your thoughts please. :D

Sponsored Links
Great sticky, new users some of whom will never have heard of a wiki. Having them at the top of the board they are much more likely to be seen and looked at first.

The only thing I would suggest is the title could be, Wiring Diagrams for Lighting Circuits.

Time will tell, but I reckon it will be a well used sticky.

Three cheers for Bacho... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I also suggest Bahco changes his name to NotoBahco for over two years. :LOL:

can we not remove them until i have read them? after ive eaten my tea? please? :D

So when was all this discussed, Mr Moderator? :cool: :cool:

As if! :LOL:

So are there any other suggestions to help our members.

I needed the wiring diagrams today and thought it would help others if there was some easy on the eye stuff thats not too complicated to follow.

My new switches worked. :cool:

Great sticky, new users some of whom will never have heard of a wiki.
Yes, but at the very top of the forum, even above the sticky, is a link to the wiki:

Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki
I think that speaks for itself.

But if one does not know what a wiki is?

And as the link to the wiki is not getting the results. I think that speaks volumes. :LOL:

And as it now states lighting in the title, what more can I say. ;)

If anyone has noticed I have done a new sticky just for wiring
So why is the author's name kevplumb, and why are all the posts by someone called FAQ? :confused:

(as I needed to do some rewiring) and want some suggestions on what to do with the other stickys.
Absolutely nothing, please, if by that you mean should you create even more of them.

Admin does not want too many stickys as he prefers it to all be in the Wiki
Good for him. ;)

so..........can we have your suggestions pls?
My suggestion is to not create any new stickies - in fact I'd like to see all of them merged into the Wiki. That you want to spend time doing things like this is great, but I really wish you'd spend it improving the Wiki...

My concern is that there's already a major problem with people not looking through the Wiki & Stickies, and creating more places to look is only going to exacerbate it, particularly when they start encountering duplicated information.

Put everything in the Wiki, including all the info in the existing stickies, and make the exhortation at the top of the forum more prominent - e,g, instead of

folder_wiki.gif

something a lot harder to miss, e.g.

folder_wiki.gif

Ban has suggested deleting as it is all in the Wiki anyway.
Ah - OK - so you did see that before it got deleted....

But if one does not know what a wiki is?
Most people have heard of Wikipedia?

And in any event it's there in a big tab at the top of the screen, the "Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki" is a hyperlink, and it could be made even more obviously something to click on.

And as the link to the wiki is not getting the results. I think that speaks volumes. :LOL:
I fear it speaks volumes for people's reluctance to research anything, which is why I believe it would be counterproductive to make them look in lots of places.

is this to try and eliminate the 'i have wired up my light EXACTLY as is was but it now trips ot when i turn it on' posts??

I am sure people just post without reading 99% of the time, even if the say that had a search and 'there was nothing exactly the same'.

A few minutes ago I only stopped myself just in time from posting without searching first in the Tools & Materials forum.... :oops:

Hi ban

Thanks for your reply.

If you could help transfer the content in to the Wiki (if you have time) then we can delete any surplus.

My aim was really just to have 1 sticky that we can find easily when we need to do a bit of wiring and I think this has been achieved.

Also appreciate if someone can point out any duplication that may be there for deletion.
Thanks

Been inundated with offers of help!! :LOL:

Consult the Wiki now and for simple diagrams you can refer to the sticky.

I have to go now as my email inbox is on fire with lots of suggestions.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back