Stop Start Technology

plenty of recycled 18650s on the market, they just downgrade the claimed power and amps and re-purpose. Eventually they get badged as cheep Chinese clones.

Sponsored Links
5 minutes at a petrol station, then 600 miles or how long on charge for how many miles ? I'll take the former, much more convenient.
If you're doing 1,000 miles a day, yes. It'd be a pain as you'd need to charge every night and a couple of times a day for an hour each time. If you're doing 500 a day then that's charging every night and once for 20-40 minutes or so in the middle of the trip.

If you're less than 300 then no petrol station stops at all.

And for that, you save a lot of money. What's not to like.

If you're less than 300 then no petrol station stops at all.
How many ev's will have an everyday range of 300 miles ? Plus charging can be difficult on the 12th floor, not to mention all the power outages then roads dug up to upgrade the grid to supply the extra power needed. Will they ever have the take up required to outsell ICE cars without legislation ? I doubt it, not in my lifetime.

Sponsored Links
How many ev's will have an everyday range of 300 miles ? Plus charging can be difficult on the 12th floor, not to mention all the power outages then roads dug up to upgrade the grid to supply the extra power needed. Will they ever have the take up required to outsell ICE cars without legislation ? I doubt it, not in my lifetime.
When are you planning to kick the bucket? They're around 10% of cars this year in the UK (including plug in hybrids). Typically the number has been doubling each year, although it seems to be accelerating. The price of them is dropping each year, by 2023 or 2025 you should be able to get an electric car for the same as a petrol one. Then they'll start to be cheaper than petrol cars. The big manufacturers are only just starting to produce them in decent numbers and they're flying off the shelves, even at current prices.

The grid concerns are a red herring. The national grid isn't concerned. Most charging will be overnight when the grid is underused.

It is awkward for people who don't have their own parking spot, but that's what charging at Tesco, work, the cinema or the shops is for. It'll sort itself out by then.

Like it or not, EVs are going to wipe out Petrol/Diesel cars because they're cheaper and better for most users. If you don't want one then that's great news for you, as it'll drive the price of old petrol/diesels through the floor.

Wait until they have to recoup the lost fuel duty.
My bet is they will hike petrol duty even more as they raise the cost for EVs. (Probably around 2023/25 for reasons covered above) There's no realistic world in which the government is going to try to end up with petrol being cheaper than electric to run.

Wait till Al those living out in the sticks with oil boilers have to spend a few grand on alternatives

Possibly, but the number of ICE vehicles worldwide will far exceed EV's for decades to come.
Yep, average lifespan of an ICE is 13 years. By 2030 they're going to be a bit retro at best in the UK when you're buying a new car but that will still leave a huge load of ICE cars bimbling about.

Sponsored Links
Back