Stop using fossil fuels ? It's impossible ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always said (since I was old enough to formulate opinions on it) that there are simply too many people on Earth.

It's amazing how we have the science to live a long and healthy life and how we can cure or prevent diseases which had historically threatened all of human life, but with this science comes responsibility. While technology, education and our understandings may have evolved, our mentality on the issue hasn't and we are steadily consuming ourselves into extinction. We need to be responsible about how fast the human race is reproducing and consuming the finite resources on the planet.

It's a horrible issue to talk about and I've fell out - quite badly - with people on it before. People I speak to seem to agree that if somebody wants a family they should be able to have as many children as they want, which of course is a reasonable thing to say! But nobody can agree on how we responsibly steady off the upward trend in population growth.

As for climate change I'm not sure. I don't think there's enough reliable data to accurately compare today's temperatures. I often hear that "xx was the hottest day on record" and then find out records only go back 114 years. What about the hundreds of thousands of summers before that? What's the overall trend over a period longer than a couple of hundred years?

Sponsored Links
Plastic polution has been mentioned.

We are shown the huge amounts that have gathered together in the Ocean and are told that 'we' must do something about it.

Obviously, something must be done but I have never thrown any plastic into the sea, so how did it get there?

Is there British or European rubbish in the middle of the Pacific?
There are routes that come from Europe/US consumers. We dispose of plastics, be it in general waste or recycling.

It can go to a recycling centre in Europe, or be exported to Asia, where there are less controls.

There is a Norway proposal to stop easy exports of scrap plastics to non-OECD countries, which should go towards addressing this.

There are also many schemes to try to replace these plastics with other materials, and reduce the use of single use plastics.

As a consumer, we have limited options, but avoiding using single use plastics such as plastic straws is a good step.

As for climate change I'm not sure. I don't think there's enough reliable data to accurately compare today's temperatures. I often hear that "xx was the hottest day on record" and then find out records only go back 114 years. What about the hundreds of thousands of summers before that? What's the overall trend over a period longer than a couple of hundred years?

We have never enjoyed a stable climate. Records of this DO exist, but, the global warming movement is strong, powerful & doesn't like you to think about them.

Give it a try with the microwave

The microwave
Not so.
Many countries are benefiting from western help with birth control, even before they enjoy economic development. Economic growth can continue well after a birth stabilises, as there is so much that a population can crave, in terms of material wealth.

The only physical limit to this is waste heat. Plastic pollution, fossil fuels causing climate change etc are all solvable problems.

Fortunately, there is a limit to how much stuff people want, so there is a limit to how much an economy will grow. The bad news is that habitats will be lost before that occurs.

Yes it is so.
Your post is nothing more than positive spin.
You engineers are so full of schitt.

Sponsored Links
We have never enjoyed a stable climate. Records of this DO exist, but, the global warming movement is strong, powerful & doesn't like you to think about them.

Don't be silly. Climate changed by itself for 4 1/2 billion years granted but any minute change in the last 150 years or so is man made. Please pay more tax to stop the next 4 1/2 billion years of climate change long after man has had his brief moments on mother earth ;).

He likes to hear the easy words from people such as him. Like a lot that voted for Trump, and supported Farage and suchlike.

Facts don't matter.

Facts spouted out by hypocrites

By those who fly abroad on a regular basis or take cruises on massive cruise liners that burn bunker fuel they are massive polluters

And then dare I mention it but the likes of me and a few others in this forum have done more for the environment then u ever will ;)

You are so concerned stop heating yer home with fossil
Fuels

Stop driving a car

Stop flying abroad on holiday ect

:p

tranny is not to be taken seriously. He can't do adult discussion.

View attachment 149898

Hah what are you doing about the environment than ?

Answer

Very little to **** all

And in any case you can thank thatcher for destroying the coal industry ;) perhaps Germany need a Thatcher type politician ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back