stopping the wizard thing

Best option is to right click on it and click disable.

If it has an exlamation mark its not working anyway, so wont do any harm.

edit :

If it does have any adverse effects, you can just re-enable by reversing the process.

You might want to try and find out what the hardware is though, it could be useful!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that this PCI device is something to do with your old phone?

I just had a look in my device manager and I've got a PCI device with a :?: and a :!: next to it. I know exactly what it is though - it's my modem which I no longer use cos I've got a router now. So basically, my computer is recognising that there is a modem card in the computer, but because I've not installed any of the drivers to run it, it has the :!: :?: .

Have you recently changed over to a router or anything?

You have a couple of options

1. You can disable it like disinfo has just said.
2. If you right click it, you can uninstall it.
3. You can right click it and try and update the drivers and see what it comes up with. It will bring up a Hardware Update Wizard box and if you go through that, you can see what information it gives you as to what exactly this is.

When you get the little icon on the bottom right hand tray of your screen, is it grayed out? If you hover your mouse over it, does any information come up? If you right click on it, do you get any options?

Doing a screen shot is actually really easy.

Do you know how to post pictures up on a forum?

First thing you need to do is, when you have the information on your screen that you want to show us, press PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard (normally found to the right of the F buttons along the top). Then open MS Paint (found in Programmes>Accessories). Then click on paste and the image of your screen will appear. Save it and then go to your image host (eg photobucket) and upload it there.

If you're not sure how to post pics on the forum, let me know and I try and explain it more for you.

Thanks all
I have charged my old phone and plugged in to eliminate that,
This comes up as a pocket pc and also starts the activesync to set up a partnership
This to me seems ok so I quess not the problem

I disabled the pci device as you said , restarted and the wizard STILL came on the same, I rechecked in the device manager and it was still disabled with a cross through it.
I only have a basic laptop,I plug it into a hp7210 printer, I think I installed software for this.
The only other software is for the phones and camera,and a sky wireless router which was there BEFORE this problem.

I quess with help I could remove ALL the phone and camera programs from the computer and perhaps reload one at a time as I have the discs.
I would rather not touch the router program though as I dont think I could
do that.
Thank you for your patience

Sponsored Links
it seems to me that your problem is not a Program, but a (hardware) PCI device. The PCI devices I know about are plug-in cards poked into the motherboard after taking the case off. Maybe you have a Model or display adaptor or sound card or games controller that is fitted but not being used? If so, take it out.

If it was me, I would go Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager; look for one with a yellow Exclamation mark, right click and Uninstall it.

Are you willing to try that?

Thanks
I can uplift photos not to bad
sussed the screenshot ok
sussed the clipboard ok
But can only seem to put one in at a time to the clipboard
I then saved to my documents
I went to imageshack tried to upload but it said wrong file type I think so I could not do that.

If I can uplift from somewhere let me know
Or
location of a free paint download
I will do that
I did google but not sure what was safe or not, so please advise if I could do that,thanks

I tried that because I could not find Paint in accesorys , even though I am sure I did have it last year.
Any ideas where that is now.
I am sure I put it on a desktop icon once because my family used to draw on it.
I went to add remove prog and sure in the Microsoft section of the list "Microsoft paint" was not listed if that is what its calledi
I have never put any game cards or anything inside, and the inside is untouched since new.

I am prepared to do whatever within reason
And going in to uninstall it now
I am very gratefull but please bare with me

EDIT
I have uninstalled pci device
TOOK about 2 secs
It is now gone from list
however
beneath it was PCI BUS
this was always there I assume ,unnoticed as it DID NOT have a :!: or :?:
next to it , and still has not and it appears normal like the others
Should I Uninstall that

Ps
please dont waste your holiday on this
It has been like it a year so there is no rush.
I can do it as and when you desire

Dont UN-install your PCI bus, or anything else thats not showing a problem, the bus is what controls the cards in your PC.

It wouldnt harm it, as windows would just automatically resinstall, but dont do it all the same.

Because you have now uninstalled the PCI card, rather than just disabling it, Windows will now detect it as new hardware again and attempt to install the drivers for it.

Quck way of loading mspaint if you cant find it is to goto start --> run --> type mspaint and press return.

Dont UN-install your PCI bus, or anything else thats not showing a problem, the bus is what controls the cards in your PC..

Thanks
Foolishly I steamed in and did
The computer went mental, screen went ginormous, and never seen so many pop ups
Luckily system restore worked and I reset it back 2 days.
Pci device i have left DISABLED with a x
Pci bus looks normal like the others.

AFTER i uninstalled the pci device
when i went back to do the pci bus, (did not have a disabled option)
I had noticed the PCI device with a :!: had returned.
I will try the paint option

Now again, because i dont have XP anymore i cant quite remember the options but;

Im sure on the found hardware wizard it basically give you three options,

One is to search for drivers and install,

One is to skip installation this time

Another is to disable the device so windows wont ask you to install again.

If you could tell me the options on the found hardware wizard that may help.

If only i was at work, i'd have around 800 XP machines to mess with !

**IF ONLY I WAS AT WORK?? - what am i saying!?!

Sorry dont know how to upload it bigger yet
Thanks all
I have learnt a lot today

Thats fine,

Looks like you have an intel motherboard, if I were you i'd try downloading and installing the latest motherboard chipset drivers :eek: not as scary as it sounds.

But, if you want the quick fix, tell me the options on the add new hardware wizard because im sure you can tell it to stop bothering you.

If you want to bring up the add new hardware wizard without rebooting;

goto device manager, right click your computer name at the very top and click "scan for hardware changes"

Sorry was away sorting this
Why is it so small damn
*************PICS redone better next page**************

I have tried untickin the box
But I can try again

I will try what you said,it has been a pain restarting each time to check

Tip for you,

If you want to take a screen of just the window you're interested in, select the window by clicking somewhere in it and then press ALT + PRTSCN

That will snap just the window we are interested in.

Do that for the last window you've just posted. Or just tell me what the last option says.

Thats fine,

Looks like you have an intel motherboard, if I were you i'd try downloading and installing the latest motherboard chipset drivers :eek: not as scary as it sounds.
I will try it if you have the time
Were the pics ok I am not too good at that yet

Sponsored Links
Back