Storage Heater not working

Just rung him....he thinks it is Economy 7...(someone told him to try and change to Economy 10?..((shrug))..they worked for electricity board at one time and said it was cheaper still - anybody know this?).

He is fitting all covers back and turning it on from switch on wall outside bathroom. Fingers crossed!..and will let you know tomorrow....if its working should it come on during the normal afternoon boost?

Sponsored Links
Normally Eco7 doesn't have an afternoon boost.

And Eco10 isn't approved for use with storage heaters. And the off peak units are more expensive than with eco7.

Your heaters take 7 hours to charge for a days use. If they are working ok like this, why change it?

;)

Ok.... ;) I rung electricity company and asked WHAT tariff he was on....she said....

Electric heating with 11.5 to 15hrs off peak. No standing charge

She said yes..it was better than Economy 7...I asked about Economy 10 (just because he'd been advised by an ex-employee of the same electricity company) and she said something about he'd have to have new meter etc etc.....but, yes, think its best to stick with what he has already. I noticed that his DD had gone down to £110 per month too. I picked up his December bill but I'm afraid its all double dutch to me!

I'm going over to his when he gets in from work... :rolleyes: ...and will report back asap if its working. It had been switched on since about midnight last night.

I'm going over to his when he gets in from work... :rolleyes: ...and will report back asap if its working. It had been switched on since about midnight last night.
I hope not, it should have switched off at 7 this morning! ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
;) I mean the actual switch to the storage heater ROFL!!

I'd nipped in to pick up his electricty bill lunch time...and there is a switch that must be kept 'on' at all times that had 'lit up'...it kicks in at 2 in afternoon for the boost....then goes off again until ..prrf ...evening?....obviously the timer swtich! (see...I'm getting the hang of all this LOL!...not!)

2-4pm i think i remember. only 2 hours.

people start to come home from work at 4pm, so that has to be peak. Or they'd loose millions of ££££

Update on my last update :rolleyes:

I went over and had a go at it myself ;) ..as no..it hadn't heated up. I undid the screws etc and using a small screwdriver kept pushing the said metal strip down...and it kept popping straight back up. EVENTUALLY it made a 'click' noise WOOOOO HOOO! Put it all back together again...and switched it back on.

HOPEFULLY I'll know in the morning when I ring him if it is now heating up. Otherwise....next plan is to get neighbour to check it with that meter thingie. ...and I suppose depending on the results of that....erm? Contact Dimplex and see if I can buy a new cut out? It LOOKS quite simple to fit and I think even I can do that:cool:

Hopefully it will now work -
If it doesn't then if you shout back with the test results as it might still not be the thermal cutout. If it was the thermal cutout then it is worthwhile just checking to see if there is an obvious reason why it had tripped - are the vents on the heater clogged? Is the area around the heater clear?

If you find you need spares I have dealt with these people before and are good: http://www.storageheater.co.uk/Models/Dimplex/XL6.htm

MANY thanks to you all! xx

Vents (at the top?) do not appear to be blocked..and area around heater is clear. I asked him again if he'd put a towel over it at some time :rolleyes: he assures me no....and that he'd also told his lodger not to...but..well... ;) boys will be boys eh? :LOL:

FINGERS crossed that it WILL work tomorrow. I'll report back asap...and :( if its not..we'll go onto the meter reading!

:cry: Nope....hasn't heated up. I'll copy and print out the meter readings and try and get hold of neighbours son to do a test.

I've found out that the part number is XL9701 and approximately £11.96 plus VAT. Should I just go ahead and replace or do the meter reading test first? ((shrug))

If it ISN'T this that is causing the problem...is there anything else that it might be or would a new storage heater be required??? :cry:

Do the test first of all.

It is pointless spending money on a new overload if it is not that which is causing the heater not to work.

If the overload is ok, then the next thing to check would be the elements. These do fail from time to time, but it is relatively easy to buy replacements if needs be.

I really hope we can get this working for you after all this effort!

;) So do I! :LOL: I'm not one to give up easily ROFL! Many thanks again for all your help!

:LOL: Me Again!!!

Lad has just rung to say he has put the meter on the cut out...and there is no reading.

He also put the meter on the element...and that was very minimal.

Should I therefore try and order both the cut out and new element?

Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back