Storage Heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heaters have started to get hot through the night and be freezing by morning. I haven't touched the settings at all.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The timing for the heat intake may have changed or be wrong.

The stat controling the input temperature may be wrongly set or faulty.

All the usual points need checking.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm completely clueless about it all.

What usual checks? The controls on the heaters are the same as they've always been. The only timer I know of is on my meter and that seems the same as normal. If it isn't, then someone from the electricity company has changed it.

You say heaters, so there are more than one not getting hot.

I would say that the problem is with the timeswitch, if it is mechanical clock type the tabs which switch the heaters on may have slipped giving a reduced heating time, if it is a radio switch there may be a signal problem (never seen that before) or the switch maybe faulty. In either case it is a matter for your supplier/DNO.

Some properties are fitted with a weatherwatch sensor outside which will override the timeswich using a contactor

Finally if you have electratech or smart heat controls, they do go faulty, afaik spares are not available

Yes, it's two heaters. The timer is behind a glass screen and still has the on indicator at 11pm and off at 7pm. I will phone Scottish Hydro Electric and see what they say. I think the heating is the same as when the house was built 20 years ago.

Sammz said:
Yes, it's two heaters. The timer is behind a glass screen and still has the on indicator at 11pm and off at 7pm.

can you see what time it is indicating? there might be a little point on one edge, which shows the time. I'll bet its wrong and has stopped turning ;)

do let us know the outcome!

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

The heater in the hall seems to be working (maybe it was the last time?). The sitting room one isn't so I've changed the fuse (something I can do!) and will see if it's working tomorrow. If not, I'll go out and check the timer.

Thanks for the help :)

We've got some really old storage heaters in our flat. We had a similar problem with one of them not kicking out much heat. There are two controls (no timers). One controls the current, the other controls a metal door which is supposed to let out heat on a graduated dial, but it's so old, last year the metal door was either open or shut. This year the link between the control and the metal door broke so the door was permanently shut, thus when it was switched on, all the heat was struggling to escape. The metal door is now permantly wedged open with a non-flammable material (two 2p pieces) until I can organise a decent heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back