Strange bang :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an odd thing happening in my house .
When we turn the kitchen lights off they make a bang sound that can be heard throughout the house . The lights dont blow or anything , it just makes this loud bang sound !
Also the other night i been using the oven , i turned it off but the fan ran for a while until the oven was cool , but as soon as the fan stopped this also made the same bang sound as the ceiling lights ..
The noise isnt coming from the actual lights , more like the ceiling or btween the floorboards . Sounds like a pipe but i know the electric isnt in the pipes lol ..
I hope this makes sense to someone out there !
xxx

Sponsored Links
Sounds odd!
What type of lights do you have in the kitchen and does this bang happen every time you turn the lights off?
Are the lights on a dedicated circuit?
Is your cooker on a dedicated circuit?

If the ceiling light in the kitchen is on for say , longer than 5 mins , then it makes this bang sound when we turn it off . It is not on its own dedicated circuit , and its just a double strip light .
The cooker is of course on a dedicated circuit ..
Any ideas anyone ????

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a loose connection, not good. Can cause a fire.

Hello from Hampshire btw...!

Hi .. Thanks everyone for replying .. I will call an electrician 1st thing in the morning , i just hope he doesnt think im mental !
It did it again early this morning , it always seems to be the kitchen and the equipment in it . No lights were on , the oven wasnt on so i can only assume the fridge must have shut itself off and made the loud thump ..
Has anyone every heard of anything like this ?
There is no no problem with anything working , nothing trips the electric fuse board , nothing over heats etc , everything works perfetly until it either tuns itself off or we turn it off , then the ceiling area thumps ! :eek:

I was in the kitchen last night and i heard the fridge/freezer (frost free) cut in then a few mins later it stopped and then there was an almighty big bang and frightened the life out me.

I have heard it crack occasionally but not like it did last night so has the op got a frost free fridge freezer.

Just an idea.

Andy

So what was making the noise in the end? Did the electrician figure it out?

Cant get anyone out until next Mon , but i did ask one of my customers about it and he suggested it might be electricty going to earth ? Not sure what he meant by this as i was distracted by another customer .. Another suggestion was the current is arcing somewhere :eek: ..I dont think that can right as nothing is tripping the fuse box ..

I was called to a similar sounding problem a few years ago, clients daughter kept hearing banging noises under her bed, after lifting floorboards i found a molten mass of cables, some of which had been pierced by a nail, the fault was never enough to blow the rewirable fuse, and must have cleared itself every time a short occured

Oooh I've been to one of those faults!

This was a 6.0mm² supply to a shower on a 40A BS3036 fuse.

It was penetrated by a nail from a floorboard, but took out the cable before the fuse!

It was still live when I found it.

IMGP1012.jpg

We had similar issue. Washing machine made a loud bang a few times when running. Then one day it made several loud bangs, so I shut it down and pulled the plug.

Thinking it was the washer we left it unplugged but the next day when the dishwasher was running, more bangs. Pulled the plug on the dishwasher too.
With everything unplugged we left it until the next day.

Next morning, I put the kettle on and I was stood drying up some mugs when the same bang greeted me along with an almightly flash from the plug socket (same triple the dishwasher & tumble dryer were plugged into.....yes I know NOW before anyone says, and no it was like that when we moved in).

Shut the power down and called electrician out. He came out and undid the socket from the wall and was greeted by this:
IMAG0084.jpg

It was disconnected and 2 new under counter socket fitted via a fused spur and several other "problems" with the wiring was sorted. Appears the previous owner was a budding electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back