Strange creaking noise when driving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed a strange creak when I'm driving the car lately. It sounds almost like an old mattress or an old sofa/armchair type creak, but it can last for a few seconds. Seems to be coming from the pedals area. If I had to limit it to 1 pedal I'd say it sounds like it's nearer to the accelerator. Certainly sounds like it's coming from the right hand side of the car as the driver sits. Seems more prominent when I'm turning left, or when I am accelerating again after slowing down. Never come across anything like this before? Anybody any ideas, or is it just the car feeling it's age!!??

:)

Sponsored Links
A worn anti roll bar bush, maybe?
Its in this area, just below the floor. Often they are quieter when its wet which could be a clue......it could also be other suspension bushes, of course.
John :)

Hi John. Thanks again! :)
The car is due for it's national car test early enough in the new year. Do you reckon it's safe enough to wait until it goes through to see what they confirm to be the probelm before getting it fixed? Or is this likely something that should be sorted sooner rather than later?

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I'd leave it until the MOT - with the car on ramps and the wheels dangling, the tester will push a pry bar around the bush housings and see if they are worn. Its much easier than crawling on the deck using a trolley jack!
Obviously if the noise gets worse or changes, an earlier inspection could be a good move.
John :)

Just checked and it's due for a test in March, so it's 3 months away. I'll hold out if I can but if it gets much worse I'll bring it sooner. Thanks.

It's the joint where the steering column goes into the steering rack, if you pop your bonnet and get someone to move the steering wheel about you will see where the steering column comes out of the bulkhead and goes into the steering rack, just a quick squirt of wd40 and it'll cure it.

It's the joint where the steering column goes into the steering rack, if you pop your bonnet and get someone to move the steering wheel about you will see where the steering column comes out of the bulkhead and goes into the steering rack, just a quick squirt of wd40 and it'll cure it.

I'll be sure to check that out, but I honestly think it's some sort of suspension problem, as when people jump into the car it creaks too! :)

ah well if it happens when someone gets in then it probably is the springs then, try getting someone to bounce the corner while your in the car.

Sponsored Links
Back