Strange tiling problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
trazor said:
Plasterboard and full tanking, beats Aquapanel and their jointing system every time.............Period

Tell that to Knauf - not me.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
trazor said:
Plasterboard and full tanking, beats Aquapanel and their jointing system every time.............Period

Tell that to Knauf - not me.

Who said I was talking to you.......... ;)

Do you know what full tanking entails.......... :?:

I'm not playing your game Joe - grow up. :rolleyes:
I only recommend tanking Aquapanel when fitting small tiles - you get more moisture making it's way through with smaller tiles.
Of course, you'll finish a house, sell it and it'll be someone else's problem in a few months. Why don't you post your name on here so that we know not to buy a house from you?

joe-90 said:
I'm sure Knauf (who make Aquapanel, a World-wide company employing 18,000 people) know what they are talking about!
Last December said:
The technical people at Knauf said:
The Knauf Aquapanel does indeed allow moisture through the board over
time. The level of water resistance and water proofness you require for
a domestic use can be achieved just the tiling and grouting. The board
is designed to maintain its strength and performance although completely
wet, so if the tiling or grouting does fail, the board will still
maintain.

The use of a tanking or vapour control layer behind the board is only
suggested for commercial areas such as public changing rooms or swimming
pool areas. For a domestic shower this is required, although you can
incorporate it if you prefer.

Please note the smooth surface of the board is ready to receive tiling.
Should a tanking system be used to this face of the board, we would not
be able to guarantee the adhesion of the tanking system to the board or
the tiles onto the tanking system.

We hope this information is sufficient. Please do not hesitate to
contact us should you require further information.

Kind Regards,

Harinder Kaur
Technical Support Officer - Knauf UK Gmbh

Leaving aside the fact that Knauf state that tanking is required, which is probably no more than an embarassing typo on the part of either Knauf or joe-90, I note that Harinder Kaur doesn't warrant that tanking is not required, he just gives an opinion without presenting any reason for that opinion.

Given that the price of a tanking kit is about £30, you'd have to be stupid to think that taking the risk is either sensible or worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
sign0081.gif

Oh I see!

Do you underestimate joe's ability to think that he's right in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary? :D

At the risk of having my head bitten off, I read the following quote by Knauf as warning against tanking :confused:

we would not be able to guarantee the adhesion of the tanking system to the board or the tiles onto the tanking system.

Just wondering which is the biggest risk, the aqua panel not doing the job it's designed to do or the tiles falling off cos I tanked :eek:

I've just used Knauf aquapanel without tanking as per instruction by the plumbers' merchants I bought it off, I trusted their advice as I thought that they could easlily have gotten another sale out of me by convincing me I needed to tank ergo, selling me a tanking kit.

...So I'm secretly hoping Joe-90 is right :eek:

No offence to anyone here as I've been given great advice from the regulars throughout my bathroom project :D (on the home straight now!!)

amandaclegg said:
At the risk of having my head bitten off, I read the following quote by Knauf as warning against tanking :confused:

we would not be able to guarantee the adhesion of the tanking system to the board or the tiles onto the tanking system.
It's an abdication of responsibility if you tank in front of the Aquapanel, but their 'warning' doesn't extend to the scenario of tanking behind it.

Just wondering which is the biggest risk, the aqua panel not doing the job it's designed to do or the tiles falling off cos I tanked :eek:
The Aquapanel will do what's desired of it if you install it right, and with the right screws. Tanking isn't compulsory, but most good professionals will tank a shower area because they know that, if not maintained, the grout will crack and let some water through.

I've just used Knauf aquapanel without tanking as per instruction by the plumbers' merchants I bought it off, I trusted their advice as I thought that they could easlily have gotten another sale out of me by convincing me I needed to tank ergo, selling me a tanking kit.
Oh yes, those merchants know so much more than the plumbers who actually do the work. :rolleyes:

...So I'm secretly hoping Joe-90 is right :eek:
From whom are you keeping this a secret? :confused:

Oh yes, those merchants know so much more than the plumbers who actually do the work. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't the merchants get feedback from the plumbers and tilers re. their products?

From whom are you keeping this a secret? :confused:

Ooops did I say that out loud? ;)

So would it be advantagious to tank the back of the aquapanel? (I have access to the back via a dummy door)

Also you mention 'maintaining' the grout, what would that entail just so I can prevent any damage occuring?

Don't be silly folks. Knauf state that in a domestic situation that tanking is NOT necessary. If it was - there'd be no point in producing the product - may as well use plasterboard!

The fact that it has been around for decades, used by thousands of people, without tanking - SHOULD tell Softus something. Alas, Softus being Softus, I'm afraid it doesn't.

How many of you have used Aquapanel without tanking and had problems?

Speak up! (they won't).

joe-90 said:
Don't be silly folks. Knauf state that in a domestic situation that tanking is NOT necessary. If it was - there'd be no point in producing the product - may as well use plasterboard!

The fact that it has been around for decades, used by thousands of people, without tanking - SHOULD tell Softus something. Alas, Softus being Softus, I'm afraid it doesn't.

Speak up! (they won't).

And just how many reading this thread, have used it,do you think?

trazor said:
joe-90 said:

Speak up! (they won't).

And just how many reading this thread, have used it,do you think?

Well if they haven't used it - why are they commenting on its performance?

That would be like giving a book review on a book they hadn't read! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back