Strange toilet blockage issue

If it is not flowing it is blocked - don't ignore the obvious. Maybe a bit of debris from the installer - plastic bag or piece plastic starts the blockage then everything else piles up behind. Try plunging with a rubber plunger - just create waves and it will shift the blockage. Otherwise there maybe problem with the installation - does it all run downhill etc.

not necessarily, if there is an issue with a restricted vent that could be the problem, rather than a blockage in the waste pipe itself,

Sponsored Links
I've got another slight issue now and I'm not sure if its related. My cloackroom has been quite smelly for last 3/4 days now. I can't see how the en-suite blockage could be linked with this because en-suite piping is going directly into the sewage pipe. Cloakroom doesn't have a window so I've left the door open for couple of days and left the fan on for quite some time too but its not helping. What could be the issue?
I'm thinking of calling out another plumber (whom I should had called in the first place instead of the other idiot who sorted out the en-suite) but before doing that I want to know if it something I can sort out myself. Thanks everyone.

blueagle78 said:
Plumber installed a new chambers/manhole etc..

Apart from having the wrong kind of pipe above ground, that all sounds OK but it begs the question of how you got an airlock? :?: :?: :?: This can only mean that some part of the underground pipework is full of water.

Does your final chamber have an intercept trap? These are prone to blockages (as I know only too well). If the stopper from the rodding eye falls out (how??? :confused: :confused: :confused: ) it blocks the trap below and the chamber fills until the water can escape through the open eye. By this time water will have backed up into the rest of the system, allowing an airlock to form in any unvented section - and also causing a bad smell.

I don't think I've got intercept trap. I'm thinking of digging the paving blocks sometime this week to inspect the new chamber and all the other work this idiot plumber did underground. If there's anything that's causing the issue there would hopefully be visible. I would really appreciate any other suggestions before I call out another plumber.

Sponsored Links
I'll second Nige on that. If you can put up some clear pictures of what is there above and below ground, we are better placed to advise on what the issues could be. It may be that you are able to make minor changes yourself, if its a complete hash then you may be better advised to get someone in to sort the job properly.

We have no way of knowing if anything that has been done to the underground run that could also now be affecting the cloakroom, but it may be a possibility that the work that has been done has somehow caused a problem in the run, which is now affecting both the cloakroom and the new connection for the en suite..... :confused:

Thanks guys, I can post the pictures but I would need to wait until the weather improves because the new chamber is under the paving blocks so I'll need to remove all those before I could even get to chamber and this crappy weather won't let me do much. :(

I'm afraid all the manholes in this house are buried.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Then start with whichever is the easiest to get at. Check that water flows through freely and that it's otherwise empty. If there's water backed up into it the problem lies further downstream, otherwise look upstream.

PS: In the long run you should really provide access to all of them anyway.

I'm even more confused about this now. Really could do with some advise. Yesterday I realised the blockage was at a completely different location. Please see the below picture. I've marked the blockage chamber in red circle. The green circle is roughly where the new chamber was fitted few weeks ago. I'm assuming the flow is from green circle area to the red circle area. I'm also assuming other properties are connected to the red circle area but I don't know anything for sure. I've rung my local coucil and I'm waiting for their reply. But in the mean time if you guys could advise me something it'll be greatly appreciated.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZcLtyhKINM9_7vDud5nHRtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I'm assuming the flow is from green circle area to the red circle area.

That's a pretty fair bet. The red area would appear to be within your property boundary so it's your problem. The good news is that most blocked drains can be cleared with some drain rods and sweat. They might be dirty and smelly but they aren't difficult. A picture of the inside of that chamber would help. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Space cat thanks a lot for quite reply. I would had loved to take a picture of the inside of the chamber but right now you'll see nothing but all the filthy water because water is upto the ground level in it.
Just to give you guys heads up, I rang council who told me to ring Thames Water and I did so. Thames Water would be sending someone out within 24 hours to look at it. I was advised they'll look at it and if its my headache (which I believe it is) they'll advise me how much it'll cost.
I still don't know if other houses around me are draining in this chamber too? :confused:

Struggling to tell from the picture but are you on a slope there? If so, its unlikely the property on the right of the pic is using that chamber, its too low. (Sewers are laid to a fall (slope) so the sewage travels by gravity.)

Is your property an individual build or were neighbouring homes built at the same time? From what I can tell it looks likely your house drains from the red chamber into the road and thus the main sewer, but without being on site its impossible to tell. Property of that era though is highly unlikely to have an interceptor.

Still wondering if your man who did the work has managed to 'lose' something down the drain, which has now worked its way along and blocked it...... :rolleyes: It needs sorting obviously, if Thames deal with it FOC then its a bonus, if not I just hope for your sake hope its not an excavation job..... :eek:

The red area would appear to be within your property boundary so it's your problem.

Didn't all shared sewers get transferred over to the relevant water companies on the 1st of October last year or was it just certain areas? This would mean that if the sewerage drain is used by other properties then even if it is on your boundary it might be Thames Waters responsibility! ;)

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/corp/hs.xsl/8654.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back