Strapping Joists - options

X

xeres

Hi

So, I have to run a 44mm waste pipe through my joists in my bathroom - not ideal but such is life.

My thoughts are to hole and sister joist each in turn. My question is how to do this? Reading around, i see my options as follows:

1) Buy 2x7 and glue + strap each side of the joist for a reasonable distance but minimum a meter - will try to make them as long as I can. Only issue is fitting them either side of each joist will create a space issue and getting the pipe into the space will require me fitting it prior, chopping up in situ and faffing.

2) Buy 25mm plywood (any particular grade?) each side of each joist and cut that to size, glue and strap. Pros are it is considerably thinner and thus more workable in the space allowing. This is my preferred options on the proviso it is stronger...? (happy to double up again making it 50mm ply each side if that makes a difference?)

My preference is option 2. Would welcome alternative thoughts or confirmation that my plan is sound.

Also, any advice on what to strap with - going t put an order on screwfix or tool station so links would make me a whole lot happier! I have heard of Timber Tites - any good for this situation?

Thanks in advance for your friendly input.

Sponsored Links
12mm structural ply, 600 either side of the notch glued, and nailed or screwed at 50mm or so spacing

Thanks for reading and posting a reply.

I'm surprised as that's less than I would have thought? 12mm ply is as structurally supportive as 2 inch saister joists?

Sponsored Links
So going to do 25mm ply cos I'm paranoid and why not.

What glue would you recommend - is gripfill fine?

Gorilla glue, and load of clamps/bolt arrangement. Don't faff about with PVA

Nozzle

You don't need any clamps when gluing. The nails or screws perform that function. Don't use expanding polyurethane glue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back