Street Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Driving along a deserted road the other night, and the usual comments were mentioned about waste of energy lighting empty streets.
What about movement detectors on series/tranches of lights?
So that as you are walking/driving along the movement detectors have sufficient sensitivity to detect walkers and drivers, and respond accordingly?
Is it feasible?
Is it cost-effective?

Sponsored Links
street lamps run on unmetered supplies. Because they are mostly run at night, and bulk-billed, the tariff is low.

I forget the average lamp wattage but it is also low.

What about movement detectors on series/tranches of lights?

Good idea ( not )

You could even arrange for them to create a pool of light around the vehicle as it enters the controlled zone and them move the pool of light along the road at 30MPH ( or what ever the speed limit is ). Then if the driver goes too fast he gets ahead of the pool of light and drives into darkness,

If you turn the street lights off - you also turn the 30mph speed limit off, without changing the law.

A 30 mph limit is defined by a system (3 or more) of street lights (casting light on to the highway) spaced no more than 183m apart.

*several bits of legislation combined in to one sentence.

Sponsored Links
Good idea ( not )
Why not?

You could even arrange for them to create a pool of light around the vehicle as it enters the controlled zone and them move the pool of light along the road at 30MPH ( or what ever the speed limit is ). Then if the driver goes too fast he gets ahead of the pool of light and drives into darkness,
Is that not trying to be too clever?

If you turn the street lights off - you also turn the 30mph speed limit off, without changing the law.

A 30 mph limit is defined by a system (3 or more) of street lights (casting light on to the highway) spaced no more than 183m apart.

But if the lights were coming on ahead of you, (a reasonable distance ahead) they would not be turned off.

Not a good idea because sudden changes in light intensity can create hazards by affecting night vision.

Yes phasing streetlights at the speed limit is being too clever or too stupid. ( suggested with a dose of sarcasm ).

That said I vaguely recall seeing a street with cats eye type lamps that were sequenced as continuously moving "waves" along the road at the speed limit.

Traffic lights can be set up as "green wave" along a road. I think this was first tried on the A4 near Hounslow in the 1960's and found to work well.

Seems like a good idea, but how would you know where the driver is going in an urban road? You'd need to light the road approx 500m ahead to be compliant and also avoid the light coming on and off in view as that would cause night vision issues. I'd have thought it would be cheaper to switch them off from midnight to 4AM and install repeater speed limit signs.

The UK seems to be fairly obsessed with street lights, you don't see anything like as many in Europe.

Are you telling us that if the street lights are not on, the 30 limit is negated?
Where do you get this information from?

Are you telling us that if the street lights are not on, the 30 limit is negated?
Where do you get this information from?

At night - yes.

As I said its various bits of legislation. I note someone has done most of the homework here on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built-up_area_(Highway_Code)
There was a test case on the lights having to be working at night. I can't recall if it was determined on appeal, as I can't find it on bailli

Given how magistrates operate, I doubt you'd convince one that the speed limit wasn't valid during the day. But at night, if the lights don't work and you can't see them easily, I think it would reasonable. Particularly given the cases where people have avoided prosecution because speed limit signs were not lit at night or not visible.

google "A303 Folly Bottom" for an example of how costly it can be for speed limit enforcers when they get it wrong and have to compensate everyone they prosecuted.

Last edited:
http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/download-pdf.html

Highway code says :-

"113. You MUST
● ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit
between sunset and sunrise
● use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street
lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit
of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
● use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule
226 )..."

Note the full stop after 'lit street lighting'... ref; to dipped headlights
--------------------------------------

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

"Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, Section 81 is up to date with all changes known to be in force on or before 15 September 2017. There are changes that may be brought into force at a future date. Changes that have been made appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.

81 General speed limit for restricted roads.
(1)It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour.

(2) national authority] may by order ... increase or reduce the rate of speed fixed by subsection (1) above, either as originally enacted or as varied under this subsection...

82 What roads are restricted roads.
"Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, Section 82 is up to date with all changes known to be in force on or before 15 September 2017. There are changes that may be brought into force at a future date. Changes that have been made appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.

(1)Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 84(3) of this Act, a road is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of this Act
if—
(a) in England and Wales, there is provided on it a system of street lighting furnished by means of lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart; ..."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/81

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/82

------------------------------------

Lamps at 200 yds or less, with no other indication of limit, means 30 mph, lamps lit or not. - Seems a safe option.

-------------------------------------

A4 through Slough deffo had some 'green wave' traffic light sequencing back in early 60's. Stick to 30mph get 'em on green.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back