1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Strike one for the little guys

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by sooey, 28 Apr 2010.

1. lawrance

lawrance

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bg's new logo for the brown noses out there

[​IMG][/img]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. namsag

namsag

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Mickeyg ..
    In times gone by we where trained to fix things as we done a proper apprenticeship .
    It was around 12 years ago when they stopped doing proper apprenticeships like the one you and dangermouth went through that the part changer mentailty appeared .
    I would put that down to purposely bad training to gain money from sales.

Luckily enough you where intelligent enough to rise above your bad training .

Independents ...
    Guy currently in CC .Thinks he is under charging at £300 a day . Yet has to have the basics of what a soakaway and condensate pump is, and has to be talked through how to fit a boiler onto a stud wall. Yep well worth £300 hundred a day . :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Happyplumber

Happyplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    funny that namsag i thought i was the only one who clocked that,ah well its all good.I am just a lowly plumber with gas qualifications;) :D :D

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. 45yearsagasman

45yearsagasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have read all the comments that Dt has written before and came to the conclusion that he has a blinkered view of BG engineers.Yes there are some inexperienced examples but the majority of them are conciencious and I would trust their skills above most others. 15 love

6. nickso

nickso

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i didn't do a "proper" apprenticeship and i'm ******* ace. :LOL:

dangermouth is a muppet but he does occasionally touch on some valid points, albeit in a blinkered manner.

there are some very poor BG engineers out there but also some good ones. sadly the pool of good ones is likely to drop sharply soon IMO.

7. Matt 87

Matt 87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Totally agree with that, its just the small minority of BG engineers it seems that let the others down.

8. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well said Agalout - I would loke to add that the same can be said of independents too ;)

9. lawrance

lawrance

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What planet r u on? The majority r ****e and the minority r good. :LOL:

game, set, match :cool:

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Matt 87

Matt 87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The thing I have found with BG guys is if they are one of the good bunch they can fix your problem quite quickly and competently. Why shouldn't they when the company backs them up with millions of pounds of investment in the industry and years of experience.

The problem seems to be the management which filters down to affect all including the customer in a bad way. The installers, I don't know whether its because they mainly use Sub-contractors or because the training is **** (I doubt it) but pretty much all their install work I have seen is not at all to a standard I would be happy with if it was my own work but they don't care, they will probably never return to the customer themselves it will be the service engineers.

The recently trained ones do an NVQ level 3 in Gas in just over a year. Mine took 3 years, why are they allowed to do this, because they are BG! The thing is I also learnt all the relevant building regs, how to lay water mains, designing and installing heating systems, running a business and other things which the current BG guys do not do on their courses because they do not need it. Maybe BG keep there guys working for them by intentionally not teaching these things?

However they do not need to know about that in the day to day gas repair business, they are there the majority of the time to "safety check" your gas appliance and repair it when necessary which they are usually very competent at.

I am sure we all see failings in BG and independents nearly every day, I know I do but sh!t happens, the general public loses out unfortunately!

Just today I saw an Independent who had core drilled the new boiler flue hole and just placed the core piece into the old flue hole, no mortar mix even!

How many new boilers do you see with the flues sticking out to far because Independents are too lazy to cut them down!

12. heatserve

heatserve

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Or they don't trust their ability to solve the multiple simultaneous quadratic equations described in the installs docs (esp Vaillant) to cut it right and choose not to risk a 50 quid flue.

13. mickyg

mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    please tell me thats sarcasm and your not serious :confused:

14. donglebang

donglebang

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    last year bg said they had to put up the price of gas as it was expensive for them to buy then this year they said they had made about 25 million pound profit .... cant see how ??

15. mickyg

mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    your a fair few hundred million out there! BGs 2009 reported profit was £595million. This year are scheduled to be a massive increase on that.

16. cross thread

cross thread

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    of course bg make a profit,they need to uk needs major investment in energy ,do you want to depend on energy supplies from outher countries?

17. Homesafe

Homesafe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If their prices are fair and don't rip off the general public as they are doing here , then yes, Why not?