Strip lights go out when I turn on the saw

[when you say 'under the trace', I presume you mean 'between the trace and the V=0 line] That would give the mean, not the RMS, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John
If you do a bit of integration on a sine curve, what's the area under it?

Sponsored Links
From their Website

EGS 5

Supply voltage (Regulation 15)

If you inform us that the electricity to your
property is outside the permitted voltage
range, we will contact you and arrange a visit
to your property within seven working days,
or, if a visit is not necessary, we will provide
a written response within five working days.
If we fail these timescales we will arrange
for you to receive £22.

I did a search of UK Power Networks site and couldn't find any info on supply specification. Maybe I was barking up the wrong search-term tree. Would you provide a link for this please? I can quote it back to them

Nozzle

I did a search of UK Power Networks site and couldn't find any info on supply specification. Maybe I was barking up the wrong search-term tree. Would you provide a link for this please? I can quote it back to them

Google ESQCR, but it is 230V +10/-6% at the DNO terminals

Sponsored Links
Google ESQCR, but it is 230V +10/-6% at the DNO terminals
To be clear for the OP, from recent discussions here ISTR that the requirement is that the voltage remains within than range for 95% of the time, and that the figures looked at are averages over a period of time (was it 30 mins?). Is that correct?

Kind Regards, John

Not on-topic, and essentially for BAS:
[when you say 'under the trace', I presume you mean 'between the trace and the V=0 line] That would give the mean, not the RMS, wouldn't it?
If you do a bit of integration on a sine curve, what's the area under it?
Missed this one last night ... the area under (or definite integral of) any voltage-time curve between two points in time will surely give you a measure of the mean voltage during that period multiplied by the duration of the period? Hence, if you divide thatarea by the durationof the period, you will get the mean voltage over that period. That statement obviously needs a little 'pedantic tweaking' if the curve has both positive and negative parts, but it is true, say, for one positive half-cycle of a sine wave.

AFAICS, if you wanted to get a measure of RMS, you'd have to take the square root of [the area under the curve of against time (over one or more full cycles), divided by the time interval concerned]. You may be able to emulate that (other than the square root calculation) 'visually' if you have a modern digital 'scope which can provide a logarithmic voltage axis, but you sure cannot do it with any of my analogue ones, which know nothing of anything other than linear scales!

Kind Regards, John

To be clear for the OP, from recent discussions here ISTR that the requirement is that the voltage remains within than range for 95% of the time, and that the figures looked at are averages over a period of time (was it 30 mins?). Is that correct?

95% measured over 7 days and averaged at 10 minute reading intervals, what it does is take a lot of the very short duration spikes out.

Evening all,

Thanks to all your supportive/informative posts I got around to phoning UK Power Networks who said I should have got in touch earlier and told them about this "emergency". Well, I don't really regard it as an emergency but she mentioned it could leads to motors burning out!?!

As has been suggested on this topic, they'll go do some preliminary checks at the transformer then at my meter and if nothing is found after this spot check they'll install and instrument to track the voltage over a week.

After I googled ESQCR and found mention of the wording in Part VII Gegulation 27, this set me going knowing there is an offically worded specification that UK Power Network must follow. What it doesn't mention is how sustained this spec should be.

Nozzle

If i where you I would not mention the supply to your workshop, just incase the supply to your house is OK and your electrician has miss calculated the cable size, and they bill you for the call out and monitoring equipment.

Regards,

Lxboy

It's not really a remote workshop it's an integrated part of the house - so the cables aren't much longer than what is already installed. Added to this, with just the meter plugged in (a low power device) and most other things turned off it still indicates a low voltage, this drop couldn't be attributed to too high a resistance cable as the current is too small. I think even wet string would show the same problem under the same circumstances.

Nozzle

Update!

The Network people cam and went and had a short power outage while they replaced a part they suspected of causing the problem (something in the same cabinet as the meter, possibly a fuse holder?). It didn't fix the problem though, so i have lodged the problem with them again and there were supposed to be coming out last week to install voltage monitoring equipment for a week. At least they have acknowledged there is a problem - but what they now do about finding and repair - I don't know!

Out of interest - how is all this work paid for? I assumed it is indirectly from my electric bill, edf/eon/npower etc would pay UK Power Networks for the use of the network - in the same way that National Grid also get money for HV power and Gas.

Nozzle

thats what the standing charge is for
the maintainance off the infrastructure amongst other things

Okay, thanks for the info. A chap from UKPN coming next week to fit said gadget to keep a track of the problems. I hope it shows up, and not like taking the car to a mechanic and it doesn't play up.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back