Structural integrity - Can i move the beams in single skim brick garage pitched roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some help/advice re: if I can move some beams in a single skim brick garage pitched roofup to give more height in room.

The room is 4x2.5m and is in good quality. As it's a fairly small room i dont want a flat root (even though it passes building regs re: height after insulation and boarding I want it to feel more open.)

Can the horizontal beams be move up to about half way up the pitch safely? (see pics attached) Or is there any other way to remove/change the horizontal beams to give more space?

Thanks in advance,
A.

IMG_0603.jpeg
IMG_0607.jpeg
IMG_0608.jpg

Sponsored Links
Im a real newbie so apologies for the naivety - does it not already have one of them at the top? (see image)
That's a ridge board and offers little structural value. A ridge beam on the other hand is what we use in vaulted roofs.

Sponsored Links
You could put cross ties higher up, but best not more than 1/3 the height between the wall plate and ridge board.
You can't do without something to tie the rafters together (unless you use a ridge beam as per Noseall).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back