Structural steel connection help needed

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hi,

I need some help with a connection between an HSS and an HEB steel column.
I would like to go with the solution on the left, but since it is impossible to use a classic bolt+nut connection, how could it be solved?

Expansion bolts or threaded top plate on the HSS column?

Thanks a lot!

pNXXobi.jpg

TbwtXA6.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but Your se should be able to help if no one else can

It seems an odd configuration having a column split into two types and joined in the middle.
Is it a two-storey structure?
If there is some moment developed in the column, the four bolts on the left might not be sufficient - intuitively the wide plates with more bolts shown
on the right seem more robust, though not as neat.
Columns with different sections along the length are tricky to analyse, you really need to speak with the SE on this.

Are you some sort of apprentice engineer? That's a bit of an odd design.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as the structure is to be insulated, why can’t you have a flanged joint as per the next upright across?

I don't like the look of anything much about this steel framework. Is this a student's project ? If it isn't and is a serious building project I would get a structural engineer to start afresh with a new design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back