Structural support for disabled ceiling hoist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of planning the fitting of a ceiling mounted disabled lifting hoist and the room it is going in has a ceiling constructed of only 3 x 2 timbers on the rear addition of a Victorian house with a pitched red concrete tiled roof above. I need to create some additional support in the ceiling void to spread the loading that the hoist will impose when used. After the addition of some sort of spreader over the joists can I also attach strapping to the angled timbers of the roof above from the 3 x 2 ceiling joists to create additional support and further spread the load? If I was to do it what process and materials should I use?

Sponsored Links
Are you working this out and using the manufacturer's guidance, or just trying to knock something up?

Hi Woody, I’m just trying to get a feel for if there would be a standard way to do it probably from someone with engineering experience. I’m struggling with the cost of adaptations and I’ll health. I still need to get some figures for the spec of the hoist for loading, fixings and span between fixings etc. The company providing the lift won’t fit the hoist unless I can sort a solution. I will end up employing a structural engineer I’m guessing. Thanks.

Normally with these hoists, you would have a single beam or beam system to take the load, not try and distribute that load across the ceiling (which may end up cracking) or spread the load to roof members which are not intended to take additional loads.

Sponsored Links
Could the hoist be positioned in the corner of the room? You could then have a support beam at ceiling height, diagonally across the corner, and the load would be carried by the two walls forming the corner. It wouldn't look very pretty but should be functional. Even if the beam were above the ceiling it could be supported by those walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back