stud walls, can I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

although rating yourself is probably a very subjective thing, if i were to rate my diy skills from 0-10 with 0 being 'completely cack' and 10 being 'awesomely skilled' i'd probably say i was around a 7-8 depending on the job i'm tacking. some of the things i've successfully completed over the years:

- rip & replace staircase newel posts, baluster and handrails (burbridge kit)
- rip and replace kitchen (except plumbing & electrics)
- rip and replace interior doors (down to legs & head, those were left)
- laminate flooring
- tongue and groove ceilings
- basic plumbing and electrics e.g. re-plumbing sink, replacing mains socket
- general woodwork
- decorating e.g. papering, painting

so that's my kind of skill set if you like.

i live in a timber kit bungalow and i'm quite keen to re-jig the interior space. this will involve some sections of interior stud partition wall being removed with new stud partitions erected to create the new spaces, inclusive of doorways etc. i would leave things like the before and after plumbing/electrics to the experts, however to keep costs down do you reckon i could tackle the stud partition stuff myself inclusive of insulation and plasterboard? again i'd leave the skimming to an expert.

also, given it's a basic timber kit bungalow (quite small, 2 bed), is it safe to assume none of the interior walls will be load bearing or not safe to assume?

Sponsored Links
good for you,are you giving yourself these marks as a diyer?what profession are you in?

reason why i ask is as i am a qualified carpenter/joiner and can do other things to a very good standard,but i would rate myself 8/10 because there are always new ways of doing things and new products that you have to use.
plus there is always room for improvement on anything in life. ;)

as for assuming none of your interior walls are load bearing?this could be where you end up making an ass of yourself,never assume anything and always be prepared,because when you become complacement thats when it comes back and bites you.

Not safe to assume. Some of your internal walls will support the ceiling joists midway across the breadth of your bungalow.

If you have access to the roof space take a look at where the joists lie as they support your ceiling. Take those supports away and you have a very messy room below.

PS. As Gregers says, never rate your own abilities. You will always over-mark yourself and then drop a clanger. Always research your project before attempting to do it.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, yes i do have access to roof space so will check that out, plus will get a builder in to advise re: load bearing before i commence any works.

as mentioned in my original post, plumbing & electrics wise i'd get someone in to disconnect where required so i could remove existing sections of stud partitions without any danger, then would get them back in to reconnect/create new connections where required.

i'm quite heavily into project management as part of my job so will have everything planned out as far as possible.

I rate myself at 7/10 in everything, except in the bedroom - so i'm told.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back