Suggestions for a letter box through a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a double door (without a letter box slot) which is made of steel and covered in wood and have about another 0.5m wall either side of it.

If I don't want an externally mounted key operated letter box to be stuck to the wall to the side of the door how would I create a letter box opening in the wall to accommodate a cavity wall and then come inside the house? Is it possible ie what about the inner bits?

Sponsored Links
You would have a 300mm deep slot, but you could knock out a brick on each leaf and insert a sleeve with a flap each side.
The trouble would be that you'd need to sloop it downwards as most things would stay in the slot otherwise.

Is a sleeve a a rectangular box of some sort otherwise letter will just fall in between the cavity. Can you post a picture or a link to something can buy as I'm not sure what it is I need to get.

Thx.

Sponsored Links
btw fit it near the hinge edge of the door, not the lock edge. It is possible to manipulate door handles and even keys with a simple home-made burglars tool through a letterbox.

You could have one for normal mail with a sleeve and one for junk mail without a sleeve to help insulate your cavity ;)

I used to use slate to make air brick liners insitu which works out a lot cheaper than buying a through wall letter plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back