Suggestions For Brighter Reversing Bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As bulb technology has moved on a lot, I've often thought that one thing that would make my Scudo van easier to drive would be some more powerful, poss LED, reversing bulbs.

Has anyone upgraded their reversing light bulbs? What did you use, which model, type, brand? Is there a big improvement? Recommendations and advice is appreciated.

I thought of these, but I don't know -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374237034046 … SwlRRk59c~

Or these look better - 1200 lumens.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392640822160 … 2KN872FE13

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I replaced the standard reversing bulbs on a new shape Ford Puma with led. It made them whiter and nicer looking but not any brighter.

As bulb technology has moved on a lot, I've often thought that one thing that would make my Scudo van easier to drive would be some more powerful, poss LED, reversing bulbs.

Has anyone upgraded their reversing light bulbs? What did you use, which model, type, brand? Is there a big improvement? Recommendations and advice is appreciated.

I thought of these, but I don't know -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374237034046 … SwlRRk59c~

Or these look better - 1200 lumens.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392640822160 … 2KN872FE13

A standard 21W reversing light bulb is likely to be about 400-460 lumens. Those first ones you linked to, don't seem to quote light output in lumens, so I'd steer clear. The second ones (at least according to their claims), should be noticeably brighter at 1200 lumens. However, I'm sceptical of the claims some of the lesser known manufacturers make on eBay listings. Philips are a known brand, and these...

...are a pretty pathetic 350 lumens each - so should actually be WORSE than a standard 21W bulb! This makes me pretty sceptical of the 1200 lumen claims from the other manufacturer!

Another thing to consider is where the light source is, in relation to the reflector. The reflector will have been designed to catch ad project light from a horizontal filament, a particular distance from the end of the bulb. Move the source closer or further from the reflector, and it won't project the light the same way.

Lastly, if your van is new enough to have bulb failure warning, LED bulbs can trigger that, because they don't draw the same current (or have the same resistance, or something - I don't really understand it!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Lastly, if your van is new enough to have bulb failure warning, LED bulbs can trigger that, because they don't draw the same current (or have the same resistance, or something - I don't really understand it!
Yes it will.
My old BMW has been retrofitted with LED rear number plate bulbs to facilitate a reversing camera & I get a 'check # plate lamps' warning on the cluster when the key is first turned.

Reversing lights, are not usually monitored, but if they are - the system can be fooled by adding a resistor in parallel.

Reversing lights, under CU, have limits on the allowed lighting power.

Reversing lights, are not usually monitored, but if they are - the system can be fooled by adding a resistor in parallel.

Reversing lights, under CU, have limits on the allowed lighting power.

That's the nutty thing about LEDs, though. You can get loads more light out of them for the same power. The Road Vehicle Lighting Regs, still limit the power, because they were written when the tungsten filament bulb was the only game in town. They should always have limited the light output in lumens, because that's what you're trying to regulate, but that's what happens when you send a lawyer out to do an engineer's job... ;)

Thanks to all for your help and advice. My Van is 2004 model, so no monitoring of bulbs going on. Things are nice and simple - part of the reason why I hold onto it.

Anyway, I did a bit more research and found the best bulbs for reversing are projector LEDs. They project the light out, rearwards not just around it's circumference. In the end I bought a pair of these, will see how I get on and how long they last -

As I'm doing more night driving on the continent these days, I thought I might also upgrade the headlight bulbs. Maybe there's nothing wrong with old tech bulbs, just my eyes. :rolleyes: Anyway, got a pair of H4s coming as well -

You would think that manufacturers would embrace a particular technology around the same period, but it appears not to be the case.
Your 2004 vehicle doesn't have bulb monitoring (Canbus?) whereas my BM built six years earlier has :unsure:

You would think that manufacturers would embrace a particular technology around the same period, but it appears not to be the case.
Your 2004 vehicle doesn't have bulb monitoring (Canbus?) whereas my BM built six years earlier has :unsure:

But his is a van. Sometimes a new van will be based on a platform that used to be "yesterday's" MPV.

Thanks to all for your help and advice. My Van is 2004 model, so no monitoring of bulbs going on. Things are nice and simple - part of the reason why I hold onto it.

Anyway, I did a bit more research and found the best bulbs for reversing are projector LEDs. They project the light out, rearwards not just around it's circumference. In the end I bought a pair of these, will see how I get on and how long they last -

As I'm doing more night driving on the continent these days, I thought I might also upgrade the headlight bulbs. Maybe there's nothing wrong with old tech bulbs, just my eyes. :rolleyes: Anyway, got a pair of H4s coming as well -

The reverse bulbs appear to he the equivalent of a 380 bulb. You might need a 382 type

380 (21/5w) is usually a stop/tail bulb, dual filament with offset pin.

382 (21w) is usually an indicator, rear fog, reverse single filament bulb with standard pin (classic bulb fitting)

380 (21/5w) is usually a stop/tail bulb, dual filament with offset pin.

382 (21w) is usually an indicator, rear fog, reverse single filament bulb with standard pin (classic bulb fitting)

Great spot, thanks. Yes, I see now - 1157/380 is dual filament/purpose, 1156/382 is single filament/purpose - suitable for reverse light.

Have cancelled and ordered some 382s.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back