Suitable circular saw (or similar/alternative)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically i can gather up lengths of timber from work what are used to lay things down on.

Generally these are 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 3x2 & the lengths are usually about 1mtr.

We're having a fire installed & it can fit in maximum 10inch pieces in length so obviously i need to cut these down.

Right now i'm having to load up my boot, take them to my mothers, cart the table saw out, run it all through, walk all the cut wood to my car (the closest i can park is a good walk when you're moving a lot of wood), load up & take to my house.

So i just thought a circular saw or similar would be so much easier.

Take the wood straight to my house, run the saw through it, job done.

Obviously i wont need state-of-the-art for this job but i don't want a saw/brand that's known for breaking after 1 use.

I'd imagine corded over cordless. Any brand/make/model you'd say would be fine for the job?

Sponsored Links
We're having a fire installed & it can fit in maximum 10inch pieces in length so obviously i need to cut these down.
Which makes it sound as though a chop saw (mitre saw) might be a safer option than anything else

Any brand/make/model you'd say would be fine for the job?
Makita, Bosch blue (not green), deWalt, etc will all last for a very long time (as they are trade rated). Hell, even an old Elu would do just as well, especially one of the the flip-over saws

Thanks.

I had a look what a mitre saw looks like. The reason i said circular saw was more for storage/ease of use.

I have a set of foldable metal ladders which i could lay pieces on & just chop the end off. Looking at that mitre saw, im just trying to think how i could have it where i could just run pieces off it. Wouldn't it need to be on some sort of platform? Like a bench or something? Which would be more of a problem. Please correct me if that's not the case.

Sponsored Links
You are right - for safe use a chop saw should ideally be on a base of some description so that it can be used from a standing position (same goes for a portable rip saw, however). I've often used a Z-fold ladder at home as a base (because I have one) or a pair of trestles and a couple of scaffolding planks (ditto). They (chop saws) are, however, a lot safer in use than a hand-held rip saw when crosscutting large volumes of materials

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back