NEWBIE CIRCULAR SAW QUERY

This one of them wind up posts? Who in their right might would attempt such a task with a circular saw.
Wants putting in the section for this kind of question.

Sponsored Links
Forget about wasting a lot of money for a few cuts.
Just use a jigsaw and a piece of wood as a guide.
A decent blade will go through like butter and it will be a lot safer than any other option.

I would be happy to use a small circular saw to do that job, but It wouldn’t be my first choice of tool.

Sponsored Links
I'm talking about the person who asked the question trazor. We had one the other week with a light and a boiler flue which was obviously a wind up.
This is something that could be done by spending a tenner on a sharp handsaw.
That my frighten some who don't like 'hard work' but it's simple and effective for a small outlay.

The guy who died was a regular poster on this forum.

Blup

we really need to avoid being heavy-handed when giving advice' dangers mentioned in a helpful way will encourage others to ask helping to avoid further accidents
being condescending or belittling others just because we know the answer will cause accident through ignorance
we need to remember not all brains work the same way so common sense and danger can be very different to different people

I have a Makita saw and rail for jobs like this. Just clamp it up and wizz along. Not sure what other system I'd recommend for this.

I have a Makita saw and rail for jobs like this. Just clamp it up and wizz along. Not sure what other system I'd recommend for this.

My Festool track saw, guides and dust extractor limping along on 3 wheels, all 15 years old, I sold to a mate for 50 quid. Being on my last legs myself I wasn't going to replace it with Festool so I went with Makita, (most of my kit is Makita).
The saw is impressive, like it, the guides are less sturdy than Festool do the job, the dust extractor does't impress but it was the 200 quid one rather than the 600 quid one, you get what you pay for I guess.

Back on topic, typically I would use a jig saw, but nothing wrong with screwing a 2 x 1" batten to the posts as a guide and using a tracksaw, perfectly safe with common sense.

wasn’t there a Darwin Award for a guy who modded an angle grinder by attaching a circular saw blade? Kicked up and cut his jugular I recall.
I remember that bloke, although can't remember his name. He posted what he was planning to do on this forum and Joe90 told him he was nuts and not to do it. A couple of days later he was on the news.

My Festool track saw, guides and dust extractor limping along on 3 wheels, all 15 years old, I sold to a mate for 50 quid. Being on my last legs myself I wasn't going to replace it with Festool so I went with Makita, (most of my kit is Makita).
The saw is impressive, like it, the guides are less sturdy than Festool do the job, the dust extractor does't impress but it was the 200 quid one rather than the 600 quid one, you get what you pay for I guess.
My stuff is mainly Makita.;) Mostly mains as I then don't have to worry about lack of use. Glad my old angle grinder was when channelling walls with a mortar rake disc. A good effective dust collector rather nicely priced. A lot of work destroyed 2 bosch drills, one a warrantee replacement. Replaced with a Milwaukee not that much more expensive and no problems. Battery. Faced with harder work my jigsaw didn't do too well so replaced that with Milwaukee, battery so have a couple of spares for when the ones with the drill wear out.

I like the Makita track saw. I had been using what is now an old Makita hobby circular saw, straight edges made up. ;) Hobby stuff is not what it used to be.

Festool extractor. Compact etc and convenient but doesn't shift enough air for some things such as a router table. The Trend one does. I finished up with both. Their router table is pretty good too. Wont take the Makita 1/2" router easily though. My Router had been a 1/4 Elu and still will be for some jobs. It came with a router table about 10" square. It's surprising what can be done with it or it can be used as a large precise fence for hand use.

LOL I have too much kit for a diy really. It started because with the kit things worked out cheaper than getting some one else to do it. Kitchen fitting though - best pay someone to fit worktops rather than buying what's needed but have to hope they do a decent job.

If the guy has never used a hand saw, and doesn't happen to get the hang of it quickly, it would be just about impossible for him and he'd completely butcher it.
A cheapo jig saw could wiggle all over the place even with a batten.
Granted a circular might drag him up the road leaving a trail of gore.
I watched a guy failing to use a cordless drill/driver to put a screw in. He lightly held the bit to the screw flat out, at an angle, and pronounced it no good. Amazing thing is, he's a dentist!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back