NEWBIE CIRCULAR SAW QUERY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am planning to buy my first circular saw (hopefully nothing expensive).

I have a featherboard edge fence erected that is too high on one side and I need to cut it horisontally to level all the top up. The fence is already erected.

Can you tell me what circular saw you would recommend and in particular what ? fine blade would I need to do this and not splinter the wood?

Thank you in advance

paulie

Sponsored Links
Can you take a picture of the part you want to cut and post it here?

It's highly dangerous for even an experienced user to cut off the top of feather edged fencing with a circular saw. There is no solid smooth base for the saw to bear against, and you are working side on. You also risk mashing up the wood whatever blade you use.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Reciprocal saw would be safer, though I confess to using a circular saw myself.

I've shortened feather board off the fence as the length was too long. I used something like this with an end stop to ensure a constant length. That made from a length of lathe clamped to the saw.

Some of the newer cheaper ones are a load of crap in odd ways. They cut ok but have usage problems. I have no idea if that one is ok.

I suspect you will end up with a mess done any other way. However a plunge type circular saw with a long enough sole plate may do it but you will probably find you can not cut up to posts as nicely as you might like. I doubt if I would attempt to do it. Maybe with the panels removed from the fence and laid flat with some support that is cut into as well. A pluge saw wouldn't be needed for that but expect splinters. None of those with a saw of the type I linked to.

Just throwing it out, but fence boards are quite easy to cut. You can do it with a hand saw.

Rail and plunge saw…but not cheap!

Otherwise a worx style saw that looks a bit like an angle grinder would be my suggestion
(I’m sure Amazon do cheap knock offs)

252857BC-43CF-437A-BE54-7E45D9D5E15E.png

If I was the OP I'd use a jigsaw, temporarily clamp a straight edge to the top of the fence to use as a guide. Any old cheap jigsaw (or S/H) with some decent blades will do if you're not planning on using it much for other DIY jobs. Though we don't know if the posts need cutting down or not?

Jack saw will fly though feather edge board.

A circular saw of any type is too dangerous to use horizontally.

Kick backs could be life altering/threatening.

Do as freddie says above.

No, they're all wrong!!
I've accumulated circular saws up to 270mm, but mostly use the smallest one which will do the job. There are some handy ones with 85mm blades even.

General purpose, though, a 165mm would do that easily and not be too much of a lump to lug about. I'm 6'3 and 16+ stone so ...
If you aren't likely to use it fairly regularly, don't get a cordless one because the battery/ies will always be flat when you want it. The cord can be a pain but you can put it over your shoulder.

I see an 85mm suggestion, but your boards won't be very flat/consistent so might wander deeper than the 27mm or so depth that'll allow.
Make sure you can look atthe thing before you buy it. Some of the cheapest ones have nasty plasticky bits which don't last. I have one where the "safety" guard stopped me seeing the line of cut so I cut a lump off it. Better ones are better designed.

They used to make 135mm ones which are fine for floorboards etc but they're out of fashion, so I'd suggest this

if you can stretch to that. Decent make, it'll last you a lifetime and be repairable. They do refurbed cheaper ones which may be OK for the price.

Put a batten along the fence, screwed to the fence, for beginner use. You have to have good balance and a firmly supported fence, otherise it'll be scary. It won't be the easiest, going horizontally 5/6ft up.
You must at least put a string/chalk line (or pencil but hard to see) along or just one slip and you'll make a mess.

A new TC blade won't splinter too much if you take it slowly. More teeth are better, so go slower with that 10 tooth blade.

If you DON't have a jigsaw, then that would be more useful generally, so get a decent one with pendulum and use fine blades. Straight enough if you use a batten. If you use smooth cut blades (kerf no wider than the blade) and a batten they can still wander about.

A sharp handsaw, fine tooth, would be fine-ish about 10 tpi, if you take your time , but only if you've done some hand-sawing before. Sideways is awkward.

Last edited:
wasn’t there a Darwin Award for a guy who modded an angle grinder by attaching a circular saw blade? Kicked up and cut his jugular I recall.
Not sure about the Darwin Award, but he was a very popular member on this forum.

These mini circular saws have much better safety features. I would rate my one as my most useful power tool after my drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back