super charger & turbo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all

Just a random thought that popped in2 my head but I done know the answer

What is the differance between a turbo and a super charger? How do they both work???

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Put very simply the difference is the way they are driven, Turbo is driven by exhaust gas and a Super charger is driven by a belt from the crank :D

Sponsored Links
Turbo chargers generally don't make much difference until the engine is spinning pretty quickly so turbo charged cars can suffer from "Lag" where you get all the power in a bit lump.

Superchargers work in a way that lets you get the power much lower down in the rev range and then delivers it consistently through the whole rev range. They generally aren't as powerful as turbo chargers though.

The Golf mentioned above gets the best of both worlds.

Superchargers are better for big, torquey engines whereas turbo make your average 2litre lump into a mad man! If you drive enthusiastically at 5000rpm plus and use the gears properly get a turbo!

Superspec said:
Turbo chargers generally don't make much difference until the engine is spinning pretty quickly so turbo charged cars can suffer from "Lag" where you get all the power in a bit lump.
Partially true of a 25 year-old turbocharged car, perhaps, but otherwise utter nonsense.

Superspec said:
Partially true of a 25 year-old turbocharged car, perhaps, but otherwise utter nonsense.

It is still true, particularly with the small turbo diesel I have the misfortune to drive at work. The thing behaves like a 2-stroke. It exhibits all the scintillating responsiveness and acceleration of a freshly stunned slug if you should let the revs drop below 3000 RPM. Once it has bogged down, it takes an aeon to wind itself up to a speed where the turbo starts working again. What's particularly annoying is the thing is geared to rev at about 2800 RPM at 70 MPH in top gear. On a long motorway trip, it feels like you are rowing the thing along with the gear lever.

Thr phrase 'Would benefit from a little further development work' comes to mind.

How simple life must be when conclusions are drawn from one solitary example of the entire sample set.

How simple life must be when conclusions are drawn from one solitary example of the entire sample set.
If it was a single example I would agree, but I know of about a dozen or so examples delivered over a 6 month period, and all are noted to exhibit the same traits. So the chances are the combined experiences of the users of this group, although still a small group in terms of the total production numbers for a vehicle, are more likely to approach the consensus of all users of the vehicle.
What sample size would you consider to be a representative sample?

Well then, you can knock 25% off the relevance of your examples, since I know of three contemporary vehicles that don't behave in the way that you say is commonplace.

Turbo lag is not as prominent in a modern car as it was lets say 20 years ago.

Modern diesels have VGT's (Variable geometry turbochargers) which virtually eliminate lag. Modern cars don't lag as much as the older types but turbo pressure is still affected by RPM. :)

I agree, but you're flogging a dead horse - I think Superspec and TicklyT have gone off to talk b*llocks elsewhere.

Both are forced induction.

essentially supercharger delivers power low end, it is driven off the engine abit like your p/s pump/alternator.
but at higher speeds actually have a more negative impact, thats why they normally turn off at higher speeds on most bigger cars.

Turbo charger works off exhaust gas which is built up to a certain pressure (psi/bar) then a wastegate opens and spins the turbo at speeds of up- to 150,000rps sucking more air into the engine.
LAG- in a turbo there is always lag, the time it takes for the exhaust gas's to build up. but this depends on vehicle or modifications.
Bigger monster turbo usually=bigger lag, but more power top end.
but there are cars, especially newer cars that use modern methods to eliminate this lag. for example bmw have twin chargers, one very small and one big. because the first is small takes less exhaust gas to bring upto speed, and the second takes over later in the rpm.
Porsche have VGT variable turbine geometry, in which the turbine blades can adjust allowing it to mimic a twin turbo (above bmw). Diesels have had this for some time, why with they're torquey engine the turbo comes in quicker.

Cars work by applying a rotational force to the road wheels. Using the friction between the rubber tyre and the road surface, the car is propelled in the selected direction of travel.

Almost all cars use an internal combustion engine based on the Otto cycle, harnessing the explosive power of a burning charge (air and atomised fuel) to push pistons connected to journals on a rotating shaft, and a selection of reduction gears to transfer power to a propeller shaft, and, via a differential gear unit, to the road wheels.

Some cars use an electric motor as an engine. These have not reached the maturity of development, and top speed, of traditionally fueled cars, but are more energy efficient and have negligible toxic emissions.

Cars generally include seats to convey the driver and, usually, at least one passenger. This is different to motorcycles, which have a saddle that the rider sits astride.

Sponsored Links
Back