SWA Gland Eath Tag Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if it is acceptable to solder the earth wire to the earth tag on SWA glands :?:

Cable is being passed in to plastic juntion boxes at both ends, so need to use the earth tag.

Any suggestions comments gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Would it be feasible to put the tags inside the enclosures (if they are big enough), kink them, then nut and bolt crimp lugs with an earth wire and away ?.

Sorry if this is a bad description. :oops: :oops:

EddieCurrent said:
Hello,

Would it be feasible to put the tags inside the enclosures (if they are big enough), kink them, then nut and bolt crimp lugs with an earth wire and away ?.

That is the way I normally do it when using a plastic enclosure. You could also fit the banjo inside the enclosure and just bolt through the banjo hole as normal (through the plastic too) along with the earth wire with a lug crimped onto it. (so the crimp is bolted in contact with the banjo)

RF Lighting said:
EddieCurrent said:
Hello,

That is the way I normally do it when using a plastic enclosure. You could also fit the banjo inside the enclosure and just bolt through the banjo hole as normal (through the plastic too) along with the earth wire with a lug crimped onto it. (so the crimp is bolted in contact with the banjo)

So just to clarify I can put the earth tag inside the enclosure and soldering to it is okay :?: Using a crimp terminal and nut 'n' bolt may be tricky as the hole in the earth tag is a little on the small side.

Cheers Darren.

Sponsored Links
It's ok but I would have thought soldering would have been just as tricky, if you are short of space could you solder a wire on first before fitting & then use a connector

jj4091 said:
It's ok but I would have thought soldering would have been just as tricky, if you are short of space could you solder a wire on first before fitting & then use a connector

Not really that short on space as it is inside a masterseal waterproof junction / terminal box (decent amount of space). As it's a terminal box it will be possible for me to solder an earth wire on first then connect to the earth terminal within the box.

Just really wanted to check that soldered joints are okay within the world of mains electric and single/solid cored cable (i.e T&E) :)

You used to be able to buy gents earth tags which is a pre made version of what I presume you are trying to make. It was a 20mm tinned brass ring with an earth wire about 150mm long attached to it.

Does anyone know if you can still get gents earth tags?

If it is a masterseal box, aren't the entries threaded 20mm?

In which case, you'd have the banjo on the outside?

They were about 20 years ago :LOL: (so I'm told, I'm not old enough to remember them, unlike Simon)

All the new ones are a standard 20mm knockout.

Hello RF,

I can recall using something like you are describing, and yes it was a long long time ago :LOL: . Would I be right in thinking they were sometimes used on conduit systems, (perhaps when using the conduit as an earth) ??

c/o 1987 :oops: :eek:

Not seen one for a while now !

I am not sure TBH. I remember using them on some old pyros which we removed from some knackered steel cased DOL starters, and reconnected to a plastic contactor enclosure.

It was probably 7 or 8 years ago though

I have seen a locknut on here somewhere that has an integral screw terminal for connecting an earth wire.
Re connecting to plastic boxes, I have been known before to secure the gland to the box with a locknut and then use another locknut to sandwich the banjo between.

Eeeh, ya cheeky young whippersnapper Rob!

Just 'coss I've reached the grand old age of 40, you think you can tek t' mick?

Glad to see that my question has generated such a discussion.

But getting back to the guts of the question is it okay / acceptable to solder the earth wire to the earth tag ????

This seems the most simple method given my situation and what i've already got. Have heard in the past that soldered joints can cause slightly higher resistance under high current, but this is generally an electronics issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back