Switched/Fused Connection Unit & Double Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Pretty simple question I hope. I've just moved into a new flat and want to put a dishwasher in the kitchen, but need to add another socket for this.

There is a switched & fused conection unit above the counter that runs to a switched socket under the counter for the washer/dryer. If I replace the single socket on the spur with a double socket is this going to cuase any issues? Would it it be up to scratch?

I'm sure that adding a second spur would be the best options, but there are tiles above the counter where the current switch is located making it a difficult job.

Thanks in advance for the advice. As these appliances may run overnight I just want to be sure I'm going down the correct path.

Sponsored Links
justbobet said:
Hi,

Pretty simple question I hope. I've just moved into a new flat and want to put a dishwasher in the kitchen, but need to add another socket for this.

There is a switched & fused conection unit above the counter that runs to a switched socket under the counter for the washer/dryer. If I replace the single socket with a double socket is this going to cuase any issues? Would it it be up to scratch?

I'm sure that adding a second spur would be the best options, but there are tiles above the counter where the current switch is located making it a difficult job.

Thanks in advance for the advice. As these appliances may run overnight I just want to be sure I'm going down the correct path.

itll be OK, since there will be a 13A fuse protecting the socket. BUT, if both appliances are used at the same time they could blow the 13A fuse.

You might want to change your fused spur for one with a neon, so you'll know when its fuse has blown (washer drier is quite heavy load, so is a dishwasher when heating, so this is very likely.

Meantime see how firmly attached those tiles are, and where the ring runs. What you are doing is protected by the fuse, but is not good design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back