Switching tool systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All.

I wouldn't say I was dedicated to Ryobi 1+, only owning a few tools.

I have now decided to upgrade to more "industrial" brand. . . Dewalt, Einhell, Makita etc.

I am certainly not a tradesman, so don't want to spend ridiculous amounts.

I am more a DIY'er, that does a lot for both my self and others.

The primary tools I need are:
Drill
Impact driver
Jigsaw
Circular saw
Multi tool
Maybe reciprocating saw

I considered buying a 6 piece kit from screwfix or some place if they had on sale, although they come with random tools like torches.

What would we all recommend?
Which brand?
Which derivative?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well for starters Einhell aren't an "industrial" brand. In cordless for that you need to look at the following brands who produce the range of tools you are interested in:

Makita
deWalt
Milwaukee (owned by same parent company as Ryobi, but different battery systems)
Bosch
Metabo
Hikoki (was Hitachi)
Panasonic
Festool

There are others, but I was thinking about wide availability in the UK.

In terms of what to recommend, I find that a bit difficult. I went Makita (18 volt LXT) more than 10 years ago and I am happy with their stuff (the fact that I'm still using it says as much), but were I starting again I'd certainly consider DW, Milwaukee, Bosch, Metabo and Hikoki as well because they all produce competent tools. I know or have worked with guys who have kit by all these firms and seem happy with their choices. It is worth realising that all manufacturers have one or two lemons on their ranges, though

Incidentally, what's wrong with continuing with Ryobi?

i have all those tools plus more as a DIYer manufacturer I choose was Dewalt
BUT as asked why change from Roybi, if you already have the system
Have a good look at the items you want as once you buy into a battery system , you probably want to stay with it and the price of additional items, I looked at Milwaukee when i first purchased, but could not find a deal and the normal price seemed expensive

I found a few good deals at screwfix and online for dewalt
So went with Dewalt
Drill - They do a few different models, I got the cheapest version with 2 (3AHr) batteries at a deal in screwfix, I would probably look into that further now, but its done everything i have asked of it, and with the SDS drill now it should be fine.
Impact driver - I have a 3 speed version and use the 3 speeds all the time, A lot of the kits only have a single speed - I would advise to avoid that , as i say the 3 speeds are used a lot
Jigsaw - I have again the cheaper version, they also do brushless and a different handle version NOTE XR does NOT mean brushless
Circular saw - Again the cheaper version, and i use SAXTON or FREUD blades
Multi tool - These are often found at a lot of different prices , I got a kit with 2 (2AHr) batteries
Maybe reciprocating saw - Been looking to get that sometime, but decided the amount i would use was very small , so not bothered yet
I also purchased a 5AHr battery - so i have 5 batteries and I find the 5AHr battery useful on the Circular saw and Planer
The other very useful cordless tool I have found is the
plane , I have used this a lot
SDS Drill - but i went for the dual chuck - cabled version
Sliding Mitre Saw
Long nose Grinder , but does not last ling on batteries

Been looking at a table saw, but decided the amount i would use was very small , so not bothered with that yet either

I think we've been here before.

It's about features not brand name. What do these tools you want to swap to offer over what you have already?

The cost of buying the same tools you already have, could potentially be used to add more or improved tools of the same system.

One thing to consider is do you really need to swap to a new 18v system? Consider new 10.8 or 12v system to run in tandem with your Ryobi stuff. You may find lighter tools are better and used more often for home DIY.

Sponsored Links
Two things drove my decision to choose 18V Makita. The first was that they had the widest range of bare tools relevant to me and the second was that they had some manufacturing in the UK. I've not regretted the decision. The other trade makes are perfectly fine and I have a variety of 240V stuff including blue Bosch and Hitachi.

In general, I've found that Screwfix / Toolstation are not generally the best for price or range of equipment and you would do well to shop around and price things up. Look at buying a drill / impact driver combi with charger and batteries and then adding bare tools as you need.

i have both ryobi and dewalt 18v both old and new
first question is why change ??
if you expect night and day performance difference for get it most will be similar or the same performance with the odd exception
iff the batteries are old then new batteries will perform better how old are the tool and the batteries??

Makita brushless 12 volt kit is powerful, for a diyer. You can get their 40 volt stuff later on for heavier duty applications.

Milwaukee 12 volt tools are being heavily promoted atm by the British youtubers (especially the electricians) and certain tools do seem more powerful than Makita's equivalent (impact driver and sds drill), but not sure about durability and service backup.

Blup

I'm just wondering what sort of DIYer would require 40 volt tools. Hell, I doubt that many tradesmen would need or could justify them for most jobs.

As far as Milwaukee's backup is concerned, having recently had to deal with them for warranty repairing a corded tool (a recip saw), I have to say they left me thoroughly underwhelmed. On the other hand I have some of their 12 volt kit and it's really quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the impression from a lot of yank sites and reviews etc that Milwaukee must surely incentivise people to promote their tools. And it may be starting here too.

Hi All.
Many thanks for your responses and Seasons greetings!

Einhill: That was a mistake, i meant Hilti, couldn't remember the name.

Move from Ryobi: I am looking to move from Ryobi as I found their drill lost its center (wobbles). I only actually have the Drill, reciprocating saw and multi-tool.
I have had them for a number of years now. The batteries are not so great anymore. I also found that the slightest bit of wetness (from rain) got into the battery and damaged it.

I thought, with the cost of replacing batteries I may as well 'upgrade'. So happy to give the Ryobi stuff away to my nephews who need to learn how to do DIY.

40v / 18v / 12v - I would be happy with 18v. I guess it is a happy medium between. I know for certain i wouldn't need the 40v stuff.

Focus on Dewalt: I guess my focus has been around price / vs availability of tools/offers and used tools - Sometimes i would buy a tool just for a particular job, so don't always want to buy new.

I did look at Milwaukee - but as mentioned the costs seem higher and less 'deals' on them.

Is brushless better than brushed?
Are there Dewalt XR brushless systems?

I am now looking more towards the Dewalt XR stuff.

Thanks again!

dewalt brushless is quite stunning perhaps like any brushless about 40% better performance, but you pay far more most diy tasks generally dont need brushless as the higher power and greater run time in general wont be noticed day to day

Are there Dewalt XR brushless systems?
Yes,
XR = Extra Runtime, and i know a few tradesman who have thought just because it says XR means it MUST be brushless , Its NOT , as i found out. The jigsaw i purchased says XR but it is a brushed system -
DeWalt DCS331
https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/dewalt-dcs331-type-3-18v-liion-xr-jigsaw-spare-parts-s18311/
PART ID 2
https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/dewalt-brushplate-dcd985-dcd920-dcd925-dcd980-pN012060/

So if you do want Brushless make sure it does say that it is brushless as well as XR

If you do move to a new' system I'd definately stay with 18v systems. Do also consider that you may wish to buy a battery circular saw or track saw in which case a doubling (or trebling) of the voltage is a benefit both in power and runtime.

H8 all. Quick update. So I have decided to slowly switch over to dewalt. As 'deals' come on for tools I will slowly switch.

Bought my first dewalt tool a pole saw it came as a bare unit. I have followed up with DCF887 impact driver which came with 2x 5ah batteries. Not bad for 179.

Although I was thinking is the dcf888 better because of the ability to control speeds better?

Will definitely have to keep an eye out to be careful not to buy brushed.

My next tool will be the dcd996 or preferably the dcd 998.

A few additional motivations where:
I am now at a stage in life where I can afford to spend that little it more on better built "pro" stuff.

Also I used dewalt stuff next to ryobi tools and it all just felt like a better experience and overall better build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back